A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Friday, May 25, 2007

No poo


I have to come clean. I've already outed myself to several friends and family members, and now it is time I make the announcement.

I haven't shampooed my hair since the fall.

It's true. Well, with the exception of once or twice. But that does not mean I haven't washed my hair in all that time. I have been. But with baking soda.

I first heard about this "No 'poo" thing on VeganRepresent.com, and I decided to try it right away. The basics of No 'pooing is to wash your hair with a baking soda solution, scrubbing and rubbing your scalp in a circular motion, and rinse with an apple cider vinegar solution. I experimented with different strengths of solutions to find what was best for me, and I now have my own system.

Why no shampoo?

Because it is filled with chemicals and whatever you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body. Have you ever read the ingredients list for beauty products? Can you pronounce or recognize most of the ingredients? Probably not. And I've decided I don't want to take the chance of those chemicals leeching into my body.

The other reason is that shampoo is designed to strip the oils from your hair and scalp. Then, most people replace those oils with conditioner. Sounds counterproductive, doesn't it? Many people have to shampoo their hair every day - and that is mostly caused by the shampoo itself. Your scalp works on a supply and demand basis - the more your shampoo, the more your scalp produces oil. Once your body adjusts to the baking soda method (and there is an adjustment period while your skin learns to produce oil only as it needs to) you can go a few days or longer between cleansing before your scalp produces the same amount of oil.

Another reason - it is a lot less expensive than the $12 bottle of shampoo I was buying.

The basic method is to dissolve 1 tbsp of baking soda in enough water to make a paste. This gets rubbed into your scalp in circles, stimulating the blood flow and opening clogged pores. Start with circular motions on the top of your head, working your way to your part, then on the back of your head, and then to your temples. Constant circles and gentle rubbing is key as this loosens the oil from your scalp and hair. As I experimented, I found that I needed more baking soda, so I use the basic method, plus I dissolve 1 tsp of baking soda into 1 cup of water, and add that just before I start the circular scrubbing.

After letting the solution sit for a minute or two, I then pour a mix of apple cider vinegar and water (1 cup of water, maybe 3 tbsps of vinegar) onto my hair and rub it in. This sits for a couple of minutes before being well rinsed out. There are other instructions on this page.

When your hair dries, you scalp will feel clean but not stripped, and your hair will be very soft. Don't worry about smelling like vinegar - the smell goes away with rinsing and drying.

I'd love to know if anyone gives it try!

Labels: , ,


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff! I've also been poo-free since last year. Love VRF. :D

I'll never poo again! :p

11:04 PM, May 25, 2007

 
Blogger me said...

Sweet! I've been washing my head (new haircut, _short_) with my handsoap, but I've been meaning to try the baking soda thing/cider vinegar thing. I tried to switch to baking soda for toothpaste, but that didn't turn out too well.

I've been moving over to more natural things after I developed my chemical sensitivities and I think it's great more people are recognizing the poisoning we do to ourselves everyday.

11:36 PM, May 25, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have coarse, curly hair that needs to be controlled with "goop." As much as I appreciate the idea of a chemical free, natural hair cleaning experience, I don't think my hair is suited for this process. I don't want to appear narrow minded but I have tried many, many products on my hair: crappy stuff from the drugstore to health products from Whole Foods. To be honest, I'm a product junkie and right now I really am enjoying Aveda hair products. Yes, they are pricey but it seems like the only hair products that work for my hair type. Meow.

12:21 AM, May 26, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for you! I'm in the lead having no-pooed for more than 2 years. I love it. I learned about it on the Mothering forums, and started right away. After about 6 months, I got my skeptical husband to try it (he has lots of scalp problems and his hair has always been straw-like and oily, etc.) and he is a total devotee now. His hair is soft to the touch and itches less, and his various cowlicks and tufts don't stick up any more. My hair isn't oily anymore, even if I go without washing it a day or so. And it's so soft and shiny.

For anyone interested:
Some people find it takes a week or so before their scalp adjusts to the new regimen, and remember that if your hair feels wierd and stiff or sticky afterwards, you didn't wash all of the BS out.

2:19 PM, May 27, 2007

 
Blogger Robyn Wade said...

It's funny that you mentioned this since I decided last week to stop using shampoos and conditioners. An alternative to the apple cider vinegar rinse is to make a strong raspberry leaf tea and use that as a final rinse. The acidity will soften your hair just like vinegar and it smells pretty nice.

7:37 AM, May 29, 2007

 
Blogger jen said...

my first thought was "sounds like it would be harsh on hair color" but then my second thought was "what's the point of worrying about putting shampoo chemicals on your hair when you are putting the much more toxic hair color chemicals on anyway?"

i only wash my hair about once a week, though. so at least i'm getting a lot less shampoo chemicals than most people.

5:46 PM, May 29, 2007

 
Blogger vania said...

I think i'll give this a try, and i'm in awe of all of you that have been doing it already! Thanks for the info and now all i have to do is get a box of the soda!

8:04 AM, May 30, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home