A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Thursday, May 3, 2007

It's not you, it's me. Okay - it's you.

I'll miss all the times we had

Today marks the first day of trying to get my caffeine addiction under control.

Step 1 - admit that those 2 mornings this week when you were grumpy and tired were, in fact, due to not having fresh ground coffee available those mornings

Step 2 - decide if you want caffeine to have that affect on you

Step 3 - make a plan to reduce caffeine intake. It doesn't have to be severe. No need to release the grumpies on everyone in your path.

Step 4 - buy a decent coffee substitute and start diluting morning coffee. Teeccino gets great reviews!

Step 5 - try hard not to scrap previous steps.


But we'll still get together from time to time

The thing about coffee is not so much the caffeine kick, but the deep flavour and the ritual of making it. Teeccino is designed to take care of both those things. Upon opening the canister, I found it full of "grounds" made up of herbs, grains, fruits and nuts. The smell is a bit coffee-orange-spice. I like my coffee medium to dark, black and unflavoured, but the smell of Teeccino wasn't unpleasant by any means.

I scooped 2 tablespoons into the coffee press, added my just below boiling water and stirred. Hmm - a lot like coffee. After 5 minutes, I pushed down the plunger and poured my cup. It tasted just as it smelled, with a little sweetness. Again, I drink my coffee black (including no sugar) so I could have done without the sweetness. But the flavour was good. Definitely not coffee, but a good, deep and complex flavour. I gave the boy a sip, and he thought it was okay as well. But he takes sugar.

I finished the cup. And I didn't feel deprived of my morning ritual the way I feel when I just make tea. Not to mention, tea upsets my tummy in the morning sometimes. I'll have it again tomorrow, but this time I will dilute with coffee grounds. I definitely want to avoid any possible headaches or crankiness.

There is also still the excellent coffee at work that I need to deal with. One step at a tme, I guess.

Labels: ,


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, this is very interesting: coffee as much as ritual as caffeine, flavor, etc. i didn't think of it that way at first, but now that i think of it, of course!

one of the first things aa does in the morning is grind the coffee. if i'm in another room, and missed him, i often hear that noise before i see him.

i applaud your efforts and look forward to hearing more!

p.s. i don't think aa wants to give up coffee.

2:38 PM, May 03, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't drink coffee. Don't like the taste, the smell or the lingering coffee breath. I seldom go to coffee shops but if I do, I order a camomile tea. I like to live dangerously :)
My husband has treid to eliminate coffee from his life - several times. But always comes back to it with a vengeance.
If this coffee alternative you are trying actually works, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Well, not quite, but I will encourage hubs to give it a whirl.

9:21 PM, May 03, 2007

 
Blogger vania said...

I too have tried to give up coffee and for years i didn't have it - though i had my does of black tea - and now, slowly but surely it's back in my life. I applaud your efforts and your plan looks good. Good luck! Have you tried that alternative Bamboo? I loved it - but it sure doen't take like coffee!

8:28 AM, May 04, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just went through this a couple months ago. I quit cold turkey though, and didn't have any caffeine for around four months. The first 4 days were murder. But after that it was okay, I was tired all the time, but in general I felt better. Missed that morning cup though. The ritual was a big part of the coffee for me too. A couple weeks ago I've allowed Diet Dr Pepper back in my life. I had a couple cups of coffee but didn't like the way it made me feel, so I haven't had any since. I have at least beaten the coffee vice, so thats something.
Thanks for the Teeccino review. I'm glad I didn't try it, doesn't sound like it would have been my thing.
Anyway, good luck with this! It's totally do-able! :D

5:53 AM, May 12, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have actually tried Teeccino and love their new Maya Caffe. It is organic and it does not have the dates and figs that give it that sweet taste. I like my coffee black and the Maya Caffe does it for me. I can't get near any type of caffeine even green tea. Teeccino gives me the ritual and flavor I need in the morning and throughout the day. They have a total of 10 flavors so you get a chance to find one that works for you. I ordered their sampler and found that even liked some of the flavors like Hazelnut and Mocha. I am totally caffeine free and have been for a few years. I will never go back, it feels too good.

12:32 PM, June 18, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home