A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Monday, April 30, 2007

Gotta get out, get me some of those ra-aa-ays!

Gotta get out, get me some of those ra-a-ays

The weather has been gorgeous lately, and I felt it was time to take Pekoe out on her harness so she could get some fresh air and direct sunlight. Of course, she is always freaked a bit when we go outside - the outdoor sounds, smells and sights are so fascinating to a house cat! Since walking a cat is nearly impossible, we just sit in a sunny spot near the building, she climbs on my lap (a rarity!) and I get to comb out a bunch of her undercoat (also a rarity!). As I tossed the huge tufts of fur on the ground around us (hey - it's biodegradable!) a small bird flew down, grabbed some of the fur, and flew away with it! I told Pekoe, "Look! Your fur is being reused by the birdies!" She gets so distracted by the sensory overload that she doesn't even care about the outside birdies.

In other events of the day, earlier Claire, the boy, my mom, my sister and I took a trip to the annual Good Food Festival, where we snacked on samples, bought hot sauce, bread and parchment paper, and made my sister eat an olive.

Later in the day, the boy and I had a wonderful dinner with Julian, Christina and Wes. On the way to their condo, the air turned chilly so I put on my striped arms warmers. A few minutes later, a passing car slowed and the boys in the back seat yelled out to me in unison "Beetlejuice!" My reaction was a mix of wounded pride and amusement. The boy laughed his ass off. Thanks, boy.

That evening Christina and Julian made us such a great dinner - Bipimbop (a Korean dish made with rice, vegetables and a spicy sauce) with avocado rolls. With the boy being vegetarian, me being vegan, and Wes on a strict detox, the meal was made vegan, salt-free and almost sugar-free! And it was incredible - black rice topped with shredded carrots, cucumber, sprouts, spinach and a sweet chili sauce for the bipimbop, and avocado, lettuce, wheat wrappers, green mango, green apple and a dijon sauce for the wraps. So tasty, so light and so filling! I also tried Soursop for the first time. Even though it goes against my desire to eat more locally, I think I need to shop in Chinatown occasionally just to try new things.

Labels:


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks like a cherimoya! i love cherimoya!

yeah, i'm always debating this, too. i love love love mangos so much. mexico! but i love my local, grown just a couple miles from me kale, too, so it works out!

5:52 PM, April 30, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the cat fur re-used by bird story - so cool:)

6:27 PM, April 30, 2007

 
Blogger vania said...

I also want to take my cat outside but i think the traffic will freak him out too much - and when i took him out last year, i think he ate something bad and puked it out. Inside. My sister walks her cat on a leash and is out all the time!

8:14 AM, May 01, 2007

 
Blogger Selbot the Catbot said...

that's cute
i used to let my cat out on the harness at my parents place but it made him whiny and he wanted to go out all the time. so now that i've finally gotten him used to being an indoor cat not sure if i want to go through all that again...he used to let my mom walk him around the yard but whenever i tried he'd just flop over. when i lived in waterloo we used to try to take him for walks in the park...he didn't like it very much and we ended up just carrying him everywhere

i'm saving all his cat hair to make felted mittens...it's taking a long time

selene

9:19 AM, May 14, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home