A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Wednesday, May 2, 2007

I don't get it


I've been living in high rise apartment buildings for over 30 years and I still don't understand why someone will not hold the elevator door open for a person who is only a few feet away. And I'm not just talking about in the lobby where people are more anonymous. I'm talking about people letting the door close as one of their hallway neighbours is obviously walking quickly towards the elevator. I just don't get it.

Labels:


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can blame it on one of two things:

1) Slow reflexes - not able to press the "doors open" button in time, or;

2) A genuine lack of "be good to your neighbour" attitude - i.e. they can't be bothered.

So there you go. I'm sure in 75% of the cases it's probably the first point I made. But I could be wrong. In which case, the second point just re-confirms my long-standing opinion that politeness and "being good to thy neighbour" are a thing of yesteryear.

9:20 PM, May 02, 2007

 
Blogger mishka said...

I wish I could believe it is 75% slow reflexes. But I don't. You can simply put your hand in front of the door and sensors will keep it from closing.

I also don't believe that these people don't see others in their peripheral vision.

I honestly think it is the 2nd point you made. I wish I didn't. But I have lived in apartment buildings almost my entire life, and I've experienced this way too often.

On the flip side, it has made me even more determined to go out of my way and hold doors open for people. Just to show them that politeness does still exist. My mama raised me right!

1:18 PM, May 03, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home