A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Donkey Sanctuary of Canada


While not so patiently waiting for our car to be ready (I mean, c'mon! How hard is it to find a blue Honda Fit in the area?!), I've been thinking of all sorts of places we can finally visit now that we'll be able to drive. I recently heard about The Donkey Sanctuary, which is just outside of Guelph - probably about an hour drive from our home - and I can't wait to visit!

I have soft spot in my heart for donkeys. When I was a kid, my hometown had a public barn/petting farm where a donkey lived, along with lots of other animals. The poor creature would often cry out from its empty, muddy, grassless and lonely pen at the people walking through the park. Whenever I was there, I would spend time petting and talking to the donkey - and the goats - because they didn't seem to get a lot of attention. They weren't "cute" like the bunnies or sheep. But they were incredibly friendly and wonderful.

It makes me sad, thinking back on the lives those animals had at that old barn in the middle of a suburban park. I only hope that maybe the animals that no longer live there were able to live out their lives in a happy place. And those who didn't get a chance to leave have a little place in my heart.

Labels:


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

7:16 PM, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger Selbot the Catbot said...

i love donkeys. and goats. they are some of my favourite animals

when i lived it waterloo i frequented their nonpetting petting zoo where they had some miniature donkeys and a whole bunch of goats (including a 3-horned goat and one year a series of baby goats). baby goats are ridiculously cute and there was one that was really hyper and kept jumping up on rocks and trying to get attention from the other goats. i miss that miniature donkey

11:00 AM, May 17, 2007

 
Blogger jessica said...

how nice that there is a sanctuary for the donkeys. i like donkeys, they look so kind to me.

6:26 AM, May 20, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home