A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Thursday, May 10, 2007

Famous last words

"How hard can it be?"

Well, I seem to think pretty hard. The boy, well, he's confidant we can do it.

Once upon a time, I used to have a nice dark blue couch. I got it from Ikea and it was exactly what I'd been looking for. Fast forward almost 10 years and I have a worn sofa covered in a hideous, stretchy, ill-fitting, sage green slipcover that cost me way too much. Tetley had discovered scratching the arm of the couch about 6 years ago and she's destroyed one arm and recently ripped holes in the slipcover. Since we both despise the awkward cover, we've decided we will try to reupholster it ourselves, if only to prolong the time before we need to replace the entire couch. We've gotten a quote on a professional doing the job, and the price was way out of our range. Honestly, we could've replaced the couch for that price!

Neither of us has recovered a piece of furniture. But we have a sewing machine and a good staple gun. All we need is fabric and strong needles.

Now for my plea: does anyone out there know of a reupholstery class being taught at a studio or school in Toronto? Leave a comment or email! I'm desperate!


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out George Brown College. They offer a slew of furniture making courses.

9:19 PM, May 10, 2007

 
Blogger trudi said...

My mom made a slipcover for me, and what she did was pin the fabric tightly over the piece, and kind of make a pattern off it. You could maybe apply the same principle to your upholstery? That probably didn't make any sense at all!

I have heard though if you put squares of tinfoil on your couch, cats won't touch it. Good luck!

8:32 AM, May 11, 2007

 
Blogger Selbot the Catbot said...

i envy your staple gun. i truly feel my life would be even just a bit more complete if i had one. i've been looking for small things to upholster such as chairs...i have a book that explains it pretty well, facebook me and remind me to scan some pages for you. i might remember on my own but that almost never happens

you might have an issue with the cat. i think once they start scratching somewhere they'll continue to do so despite the new cover. you could try that spray thing but then i guess you can't have your cat chill with you on the couch (that's why i never tried the spray). you could try making a scratching post out of the old slipcover material and putting it near the couch...might work

selene

9:24 AM, May 14, 2007

 
Blogger mishka said...

I've emailed the sewing studio (can't remember their name at the moment) around Eglinton and they don't have classes now, but do offer them from time to time! I'll keep checking their website. I checked out Geroge Brown but couldn't find anything suitable.

trudi - I thought about a slip cover, but I think it'll be way work to just staple it right on! me = lazy.

Hey! Selene! I'll definitely remind you about the scans - thanks! What is the name of the book? Maybe I can just order a copy for myself.

About the scratching, I think we might attach a temporary piece of fabric to the arm of the couch that she can scratch. It is such an instinct for them to stretch and scratch and is physically good for them. We have a cat tree, but the other cat is a little territorial with it, and Tetley really likes the couch. If we add a strip of fabric that she's allowed the scratch, we can just replace it when it's ratty. Some people may think that's spoiling her, but I thik it is the most respectful and reasonable solution.

9:36 AM, May 14, 2007

 
Blogger vania said...

I don't know of a class off-hand, but i wonder if there's a good tuturial on-line somewhere for slip covers. I re-upholstered a chair of mine, but a chair is surely easier than a whole couch. Though, with a sewing machine and a staple gun, i'm sure you're on your way!

2:22 PM, May 14, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home