A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Saturday, May 26, 2007

Electronic coach

Meet my coach

I recently discovered the Couch to 5k podcast. I'd been trying to run on my own, at my own pace, since the weather got warmer and things just weren't feeling right. I suppose "my own pace" really isn't much of a challenge. So, I downloaded this 9 episode podcast, developed by Robert Ullrey and based on Cool Running's beginner running program.

Since I'd already been running a bit, I decided to start at week 2's episode, then moved up to week 3 the very next running day and then to week 4. If you're just starting out, each of these episodes should be followed for 3 separate days, or 1 episode per week with a rest day in between each. Two days ago I completed week 5, and today I shall start day 1 of week 6. The last run was 5 min warm-up, 20 min run and 5 min cool-down. Yeah - I ran for 20 minutes straight! Woo! Of course, my lungs felt it for the rest of the day - but in that good way.

The podcasts are set to upbeat electronic music, which I thought would annoy me like crazy but I've been able to tune it out and focus on the quick paced beat. Then Robert pops in every so often to tell you when to run, walk, cool down, or just to offer some positive words. There are 9 different episodes, all designed to get you running a full 5k without stopping. Which is good timing for me, since I've signed up to run the Pride 5k in about 4 weeks - the same number of podcasts left for me to complete!

Labels: , , ,


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you So So much, you are a star! i have been looking for something like this for ages, and have been struggling with running. i am so ready to get my headphones on and am listening to the podcasts already! i will start this week if i can get the technical side worked out and i will let you know how it goes. just think of me running in australia in the crisp autumn air and i will think of you running in toronto...

8:52 AM, May 28, 2007

 
Blogger jen said...

cool!

by the way, i don't think there is such a things as feeling it in your lungs "in a good way" -- i know a lot of avid exercisers and i've never heard of post-exercise lung feelings before. have you ever considered whether you have exercise-induced asthma? travis never realized he had it either until i informed him that having your lungs hurt during exercise isn't just normal. he went to an asthma doctor and it turns out he has asthma.

i know you don't like chemicals, but if you have exercise-induced asthma you can take medication that will help you get your lungs healthier.

5:51 PM, May 29, 2007

 
Blogger mishka said...

tash - you're veru welcome! Good luck! I'd love to know if it works out for you.

jen - I guess the feeling is more of a "having been worked" feeling in my lungs. It doesn't hurt and it isn't difficult to breathe, but it's almost as if each of the air sacs in my lungs feels clear and recently inflated. I don't know if this makes sense. I chalk it up to never having been an active person - my lungs haven't really been used to their full potential with heavy breathing since I didn't grow up playing sports or running around or anything like that.

Thanks for the info, though. I'll definitely keep a watch on it and get it checked out if I should feel discomfort!

1:18 PM, May 30, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home