A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Sunday, March 25, 2007

Bloomers!

Back to it.

A few weeks ago I pulled out my sewing machine. I'd been thinking about trying to sew something for weeks, and, after finding some abandoned and very clean sheets in the "treasure room" of my building, I took the plunge. At first, I had planned on using the sheets to make something but then I decided to make a skirt out of some extra large t-shirts. It turned out very well, but I just realised that I have no photos yet. I'll post one when I shoot it!

I was on a roll! But then I got sick for a couple of weeks and spent much time couching.

But I got back to it this weekend. I made a pair of bloomers! During my trip to Portland to visit Michelle last fall, I bought the awesomest pair of green bloomers and I thought it would be fun to make my own. The sheet I found had a decent blossomy pattern, and I decided to use it.

I used a pattern for a pair of drawstring pants, but made them knee length. Then, I added a ruffle. Easy, right? You would think. After cutting out the paper pattern, then the fabric, then getting confused (I cockily neglected to read the directions thoroughly) and having to rip out my stitches twice, finishing the pants took almost 7 hours. I expect that next time will be much faster. And there will be a next time as I want bloomers in several colours!

Bloomers

The plan was to make 3 ruffles on each leg, but I messed up and only made one.

Bloomers

I love how this shot makes my legs look sooo looooong....!

Reflectikitty

Tetley freaks me out.

Labels: , ,


8 Comments:

Blogger Robyn Wade said...

These are really cute, nice work!!

10:36 PM, March 25, 2007

 
Blogger jen said...

good job! i really like the fabric!

9:25 AM, March 26, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay yay! how awesome are those???

did you get the bloomers at frock? i get so jealous every time i see those on you!!! your handmade ones are the radness!

12:24 PM, March 26, 2007

 
Blogger vania said...

I love those, and that fabric is wonderful! Wear on earth did you find it? Great job!

1:55 PM, March 26, 2007

 
Blogger mishka said...

Thanks! I'm looking forward to making more - I think I found a new obsession...

Michelle - I did get them at Frock! There were 2 different pairs, but the other was too small for my butt or else I would have scooped them up.

vania - the fabric is a discarded sheet I found in our "treasure room", aka our moving room where sometimes people freecycle the stuff they don't want. And there's enough of the sheet left over for an apron or a skirt!

4:19 PM, March 26, 2007

 
Blogger Carla said...

hee hee, what IS going through Tetley's mind?

Cute bloomers!

10:25 PM, March 26, 2007

 
Blogger mishka said...

Carla - I wish I knew what she is thinking when she does that! She'll often just watch us and meow, very needily. We're all "What? WHAT?"

The creepy part is that she doesn't even look at herself - she always looks at other things. Maybe she thinks it's another part of the apartment where she's not allowed to go :D

10:34 AM, March 27, 2007

 
Blogger trudi said...

Those bloomers are so cute! And I also love the blurry effect you put on the photo.

4:58 PM, March 29, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home