A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Friday, February 23, 2007

A focus on the positive.

This week, several good things happened that I'd like to share and take joy in.
  1. I was accepted for a volunteer position on the newly formed Communications Committee at the Toronto Vegetarian Association. I will be part of a 6 person team that reports to the Board of Directors, making recommendations and implementing ideas for upcoming advertising, marketing, branding and general communications of the Association. Yay!
  2. On Monday I attended, with a good friend, a How To Start a Food Business workshop. Because I am always thinking about opening a vegan café.
  3. The workshop also helped me think a bit more about another side project I've been planning. A small business, not related to food.
  4. I got to hang out for a few hours with my good friend, her husband and their incredibly cute and intense 4 month old son.
  5. Also on Monday, the same friend gave me belated birthday gifts - two of which will, coincidentally and unintentionally, help greatly with the small business idea mentioned above.
  6. I bought a great pair of non-leather shoes, second-hand, for half price at Value Village. They are in really good condition so I'm not worried about contracting any weird foot diseases.
  7. 2 large rush projects have been almost completed at work. We are just waiting on production, which we have no control over, and we'll ship next week. The client is extremely happy with the pieces and our work.
What got me thinking about and appreciating these good things is one big awful thing that happened to two people I adore. Their mother was just devastatingly diagnosed with incurable blood cancer. I can't imagine what they are going through, emotionally. My thoughts and heart are with them.

As petty as it is to consider a great bargain on thrifted shoes a good thing in light of my friends' mother being sick, I am reminding myself to take joy in what I have. Because at least I am here to enjoy it.

Labels:


5 Comments:

Blogger Robyn Wade said...

What a great post!! You really made me think about how great and precious life can be. I am thankful that there are people like you in the world. Have a great Friday!

4:03 PM, February 23, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to that!!

Congrats! on the volunteer work and on the thought of starting a business. It is an exciting opportunity, albeit a risky and possibly expensive one.

I have been struggling with my design business for over a year, living like a student (cutting corners to just to make it and not going on vacation, etc.) and so I have decided (with much disappointment)to look for full time office work and switch the business to a part-time weekends thing. For now. It's sad but it's true. Not all businesses survive. It's a money thing mostly. You have to have a lot of it. Or get a bank loan, which I didn't want to do.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like a grey cloud hovering over your head. I tend to be a realist rather than an idealist.

Life is precious and short.
We should all count our blessings!!

1:20 PM, February 24, 2007

 
Blogger EY till we die said...

wow. i really needed this post right now. congratulations on the TVA position...what a perfect fit. whatever you decide to do with your business, I know it will be wonderful.

4:59 AM, February 27, 2007

 
Blogger vania said...

Wow, what a great list - had i known about that workshop, i would have gone too - i would love to have a vegan cafe! can i work in yours?!

11:25 AM, February 28, 2007

 
Blogger jen said...

congrats! i'm glad good stuff is happening for you. i'm sorry about your friends' mom.

10:44 AM, March 06, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home