A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Friday, February 9, 2007

My Canada's Food Guide

So, there's been all this buzz about the updated Canada's Food Guide since this is the first time it's been updated since before my mom was born. There's some good stuff, I have to admit, but I still dislike the reliance on a dairy category. I do like, however, that they've changed the name to "Milk and Alternatives". Thing is, it's pretty apparent to vegans and people with dairy allergies that you can get the same nutrients - including calcium! - from the other 3 categories*. A lot of what you find in milk is fortified anyway - so why place such importance on dairy? *squints at the powerful Dairy Council*

I also love how much they're pushing fresh vegetables and whole grains!

Being easily amused, and a lover of all things customizable, I created my own food guide from the website. It is based on my age, gender, and the types of stuff I eat. Give it a try! I created one for me and the boy, and I'm going to start using it as a guide for my meals - both ingredients and serving sizes.

* have a peek at the Vegan Food Guide developed by EarthSave for some great dairy alternatives!

Labels:


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I customized this food guide to my preferences and was slightly disappointed in the exercise choices to pick from - they omitted "sex" from the list.

Last time I heard - you do burn calories during coitus so they should give that option to people.

I don't exercise much - :D

12:59 PM, February 10, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks very similar to the new MyPyramid in the States. Except they don't say "Milk and Alternatives", so I always got a frowny face for my milk consumption. And, since it's part of my job to analyze the USDA MyPyramid I could go on and on with inconsistancies and the prevalance of meat and dairy (glares at lobbyists), but I won't. Hi!

1:21 PM, February 10, 2007

 
Blogger vania said...

Thanks for posting about this - i heard that the food guide was revamped so it's good to see what it is, and how 'vegan friendly' it is.

12:31 AM, February 11, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home