A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Saturday, January 27, 2007

Quick + Lazy Saturday Soup

Quick + Lazy Saturday Soup

The boy was out late last night and didn't feel like going out for brunch as planned (ahem) so I threw together a quick soup to feed my hungry and disappointed tummy.

Quick + Lazy Saturday Soup

1/2 cup red lentils
1/2 cup brown lentils
water to fill a medium sized soup pot - about 4 cups
2 vegetable broth cubes
4 sundried tomatoes, snipped into small pieces with scissors
1 large white potato, small cubes
3 cloves of garlic, thickly chopped
1 carrot, cubed
lemon juice - optional

Rinse the lentils and place them in the pot with the water and broth cubes. Bring to boil on high heat while you chop the potatoes. Add potatoes, sundried tomatoes and garlic. Stir to mix in the now-dissolved broth cubes. Cover and reduce to medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes then add carrots. Reduce to a simmer. Soup is done when the potatoes and brown lentils are tender. Serve with a squirt of lemon juice if you like things tangy.

tip: I like to vary the size and shape of my chopped vegetables to create a rustic texture

Now, since I feel like getting out of the apartment and my tummy is full, warm and happy, I am going to venture outside!

Labels: , ,


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks delicious!

6:43 PM, January 27, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh mishka, that soup looks amazing. yummy.

7:04 PM, January 27, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job on the soup! It looks divine.

I recently purchased a slow cooker and have spent the past two weeks, experimenting with soups and stews, both vegan and non-v.

So far the best soup I made was an African Yam and Peanut soup that I just LOVED! And it's vegan, so if you want the recipe, let me know. I can post it in the comments section for you and anyone else interested.

1:52 AM, January 28, 2007

 
Blogger mishka said...

The soup was really really yummy, and very uncomplicated tasting. I loved it!

Sophie - I have always wanted to try an African Peanut soup... post away!! Thanks!

I love my slow cooker - I use it a lot for cooking dried bean overnight. It's way healthier than canned beans and really inexpensive.

9:46 AM, January 28, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here you go...enjoy :)

African yam & peanut soup

8 C veggie stock
2 T vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
6 T minced ginger (use fresh - it's got more kick)
4 cloves garlic
1 T cumin
2 T coriander
1/2 t cayenne
1 t paprika
1 red bell pepper
4 chopped yams (or sweet potato)
1 can crushed pineapple, with juice
3 chopped tomatoes
5 T peanut butter (unsweetened)
1 bunch cilantro
2 limes' juice
hot sauce

1. Warm the stock
2. Sautee the onion and some salt, until translucent
3. Add garlic, ginger, and spices, and sautee until soft
4. Add red pepper, yams, and more salt until things start to stick.
5. Add enough stock to cover, boil, and simmer until the yams are soft.
6. Add the pineapple with the juice, tomatoes, PB, and the rest of the stock and simmer for 30 minutes
7. Puree until smooth. (Use a hand blender - its easier.)
8. Simmer for another 10 minutes
9. Add cilantro, lime juice and hot sauce to taste before serving.

12:54 PM, January 28, 2007

 
Blogger trudi said...

That soup looks so good and healthy! Hope you enjoyed your Saturday.

4:37 PM, January 28, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely going to try this soon. Yummy!

(...Reading this, I wonder why I don't make soup more often. It's tasty, economical and healthy.)

5:09 AM, January 31, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home