A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Food Log | Jan 3, 2007

note to anyone who is checking my blog expecting an update on my trip to Vancouver (I know who you are) - hold yer horses. Ima gettin' to it.



We came back from our trip to the west coast yesterday morning. What also came back with us were enlarged tummies from eating so. much. good. food. And drinking beer. Lots of beer. Too much beer. That Granville Island stuff is quite good.

As with so many people in the world, January will be my start of a more healthful diet. For me, this means an increase in raw vegetables and a slight decrease in my portion size of grains. I do have a bit of a dilemma in that Canada does not produce many fresh vegetables during the winter months, which conflicts with my desire to eat as much locally produced food as possible.

The other dilemma is the lack of indication of where in Canada and the US food is produced - a sign can say "product of Canada", but that could mean BC, in which case something grown in the US could potentially be closer and transported from only a few hours away instead of days.

In order to increase my raw vegetable intake but reduce my consumption of vegetables carted in from all over the damn universe (peppers from New Zealand?? wtf?), I will try to focus my leafy purchases on items that are cold-weather hardy, like kale and cabbage, which may be grown closer than other vegetables. Though I have to confess my purchase of 2 avocados last night. Perhaps I will make exceptions for organics. Yipes. Has anyone priced organic peppers lately? Cha-ching!

I also plan to take vitamins regularly. The ideal would be to get all I need from food - but who are we kidding? In 2007, it is a pretty tall task to eat all that food to get all your nutrients, and maintain the right amount of physical activity to use up the calories you would intake. I'm a graphic designer. Not a very physically demanding job. And running a few times a week ain't gonna cut it for burning off all those calories. The only way I can do it is to eat as much nutrient dense food as possible, do some exercise, and take a few pills. Easy peasy.

Now, on with the log...

breakfast:

  • a bowl consisting of about 1 cup of mixed rolled oats and maple granola
  • 2 tbsp ground flax
  • 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
lunch:
  • large salad (say, 3 or 4 cups) of mixed greens* and 3 leaves of black kale*
  • a reasonable drizzle of homemade sundried tomato dressing
  • 2 carrots*
snack:
  • 1 ambrosia apple*
  • 1 container of chocolate soy pudding
snack #2 at 4:25 when I could stand the hunger no longer:
  • about 1.25 cups of bulger cooked with a small bottle of 10 vegetable juice, garlic powder and black pepper
  • 1.5 tbsp raw sunflower seeds*

dinner:
  • medium, thin crust, cheeseless pizza with mushrooms, olives and sundried tomatoes
  • diet pepsi
  • 3 vegan cookies
Vitamins:
  • taken: B6, folic acid, iron



*organic

Labels:


5 Comments:

Blogger trudi said...

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a good time - I agree, that beer is very good! Good luck with the healthy eating, and I look forward to hearing more about your trip.

6:09 PM, January 03, 2007

 
Blogger vania said...

Welcome back! I can't wait to hear and see your photos from BC! I loved it too. Now, as to the commitment to eat healthy, i'm with you my friend. I am committed to eating better and taking my vitamins. Period. On that note, wWe should arrange a brunch date at Live sometime!

7:15 PM, January 03, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!
Good to know you had a fantastic time in BC! It's so nice there. I can't wait to go back again.
I went off wheat for 3 months and feel so much better and I also managed to lose 10 lbs. Instad I ate a lot of rice (various types), quinoa, millet, bulgar, rye, and oats.
Wheat is so insiduous it's in everything and contributes to a slew of physical body ailments, in my case sluggishness and slow digestion. I realize that being a vegan you rely heavily on wheat-derived products but you just never know how good you will feel until you try it. I'm a believer!

9:53 PM, January 03, 2007

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Yay! Glad to hear that you liked the Canadian left coast!

So, really, I had no idea that food was labeled "US" or "Canada" and it didn't tell you what state/province. Here, if it's grown in Oregon, they tell you the town (the other day, I bought kale from N. Portland (that was big and dark green), but they had kale from NE Portland (ostensibly closer or not, depending "where" in NE ha ha) but didn't buy the NE stuff cause AA prefers the dark green to the red. I'm lucky and like to talk about that often! Boasting, proud portlander!

At the wild oats (which i hardly ever go to cause i like the coop), they have a sign that says "Local means Oregon, Southern Washington, and Northern California and nowhere else!" This is a secret dig at the Southern Californians, me thinks too.

But really, I think that stinks. And you're right to choose the wintery vegetables as a way to fight them on their evasive labeling.

In all my resolutions (which woh, there were many!), I totally left out vitamins! And here I am, early in the morning, checking your blog rather than doing yoga!

love,
michelle

9:49 AM, January 04, 2007

 
Blogger Michelle said...

i forgot to write that aa has been experimenting with raw food things. so yummy. he made a pesto out of kale, a ricotta cheese out of lots of things and we ate it with spinach and it was "outta sight!" (that's exactly what i said when i was eating it!)

9:57 AM, January 04, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home