A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Craftacular!


I am a procrastinator. My boss gave me a pile of polished rocks that used to be a belt. She asked me to make a necklace for her out of these rocks. She did this over a year and a half ago. Probably closer to two years, actually. Something has kept me from doing it and I'm not sure what... the fear of the necklace not turning out? Not sure.

Anway, she brought it up again last Friday and, laughing, said "It's funny - I'm your boss and you won't do this for me! Anyone else would have given me the necklace the next day, but not you! I think that's why I love you."

It helps to be friends with your boss ;)

So, full of guilt and shame, I sat down and finished the necklace on Sunday night. I don't have a photo, and I wish I did. It turned out very nicely. However, I have a few stones left over (above) that she's requested a lariat from, so I'll be sure to take a photo of that one.



Next, I've been knitting a scarf during my subway trips. Surprise! It's black and red! (roll eyes now...) To jazz it up a bit, I am going to make some red flowers to tack on near the ends of the scarf. The pattern is from Stitch'n'Bitch Nation and I already made one on my way in to work. It didn't turn out all that well, but I'll do better on the next one. I've never been one for too many flourishes or details or patterns, but I'm starting to like small hints of decoration like these flowers. As long as they are a solid colour.



Finally, I joined the Sew? I Knit! bag sew-a-long. My twist: I am going to make my bag out of items I already have. The picture is of the bottom of a skirt that got ruined, so I trimmed it into a shorter one. This excess will be perfect to construct a bag from - there are awesome ribbons to use for the strap, a snap-clasp for closure, and plenty of thick material for the bag itself. I also have an idea for the lining, which will be made from an old sheet that has been kicking around the back of the office at work, used recently to move heavy objects. The boss-friend says I can take it. I'll take more shots of the progress.


4 Comments:

Blogger Harmonia said...

LOVE the crafts!

11:58 AM, March 29, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm excited about sew i knit, too. wish i could see a pic of the the jewelry you made for the boss! those are hot rocks!

9:35 AM, March 30, 2006

 
Blogger jen said...

i have a corduroy shirt i've been meaning to make into a bag, too. let me know how your's goes and if you have any tips for me.

9:56 AM, March 30, 2006

 
Blogger Harmonia said...

There's a new Midweek Munchies Code up on my blog now - check it out!

12:58 PM, April 03, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home