A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Friday, March 24, 2006

Double Happiness

Beautiful Books

My dear friend Trudi has just confirmed plans of her visit to Toronto with her husband in May. Hooray! We met in grade 5 and were inseparable for the next 3 years until her family moved back to Nova Scotia, where she and her husband live now.

Trudi, if you aren't aware, is a Hand-made Japanese Paper Book Goddess. She makes gorgeous books and even supplies a couple of shops in Halifax with her creations. During her visit, we plan to visit shops in Toronto for supplies of paper and ribbon and I'd love any sort of input as to where some of the best suppliers are... Toronto readers? Also any ideas for shops that might be interested in carrying some of her beautiful work are very welcome.

I am very excited to see my friend again, and to meet her husband for the first time! It has been about 3 years since she was in Toronto and I, being the scatter-brain I am, never follow through on my plans to visit her in Nova Scotia. Well, I have talked to the boy about visiting this summer. Since our vacation time is super-limited, it'll have to be over a weekend. Boo for poor vacation time.

And Yay for friends!


10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

truly yay for friends! i hope you had a great weekend - and a successful paper hunting trip! the paper in the picture looks gorgeous :)

10:52 AM, March 26, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Friends are cool! Sounds like a lot of fun. Her stuff looks sweet. I love Nova Scotia, btw.

12:34 PM, March 26, 2006

 
Blogger trudi said...

Hey Mishka,

Thanks so much for your lovely post! I just have one thing I would like to correct - I think we actually met in Grade 4, not in Grade 5. I remember the first time I saw you, you were on the playground wearing a headband with sparkly antennae thingys on it and I thought that was so cool! I immediately wanted to be your friend. Even without the antennae, you turned out to be pretty cool!

Take care, and look forward to seeing you sooooon!!!

Trudi

2:27 PM, March 27, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

It was grade 4. We were in different classes but across the hall from each other. I remember you too - with your long healthy-looking hair and straight-cut bangs. You were the "new girl" and much more interesting to hang out with :)

Haha - I actually wore deely-boppers to school? I was such a nerd.

Funny sidenote: I had to correct my original post, as I had typed "My dead friend Trudi..." That would've made for some very different reading ;)

2:54 PM, March 27, 2006

 
Blogger Carla said...

So, did you make it to brunch at Maggie's?? I always get the tofu pesto plate but I'm tempted to try the vegan apple French toast.

The paper looks delicious too!!!

3:21 PM, March 27, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

hey, Carla. No, not yet. I've already got the boy to promise we'll check it out one day - perhaps this weekend when I have my little non-veg sister visiting. I was going to try to get there this past Sunday, but my hangover had a very different idea ;)

And, yes, the paper is gorgeous, isn't it? Trudi has a great eye for patterns.

3:35 PM, March 27, 2006

 
Blogger sarah said...

there's a store called (ironically) the japanese paper shop on queen west. You can google it, it's supposed to be awesome

12:23 PM, March 28, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

Hey - thanks Sarah Fay!

Coincidentally, she does order paper from there from a supplier in Halifax :) Probably should have mentioned it in my post. We'll definitely be stopping by the shop during the trip, and making a stop at the warehouse if we can!

12:50 PM, March 28, 2006

 
Blogger toronto craft alert said...

hey there,

i was thinking about inviting people to write in to Toronto Craft Alert with toronto-oriented craft questions like this one - would you like me to post this as a kick-off? if so, please drop me a note.

1:27 PM, March 28, 2006

 
Blogger Harmonia said...

Those colors are amazing!

Happy Midweek Munchies, btw!

8:58 AM, March 29, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home