A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Henry Miller and a Food Log | April 4, 2007

I have a magnet at my desk that is a quote from Henry Miller. Not because I'm this big Henry Miller fan. I've only ever attempted to read Tropic of Capricorn, and I didn't finish it. No, my boss gave me this magnet because it reminded her of my attitude towards life. Sadly, this attitude often gets suppressed by the daily activities of life, but it is something I subscribe to in my heart:

"The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly. serenely, divinely aware."

The comma between "aware" and "joyously" annoys me. Should it be something else? Is it correct? I dunno.


A couple of events have inspired me to continue with my food logs. As my readers, I'd like to know what you think of their appearance in my blog - do you enjoy them, dislike them, or are you indifferent to them?

I've stated my reasons for wanting to keep track before, but I'll just briefly explain again. I'd like to keep track of my calorie and fat intake for weight loss reasons, and my nutritional intake for health reasons. By making my log public, I become a bit more accountable to people who are interested in following my progress, plus I develop a responsibilty to represent veganism - show the naysayers that we can have a varied, tasty and healthy diet. Lastly, keeping this log reminds me of important things that often slip my mind - taking vitamins, exercising (new addition to my log) and making a point of drinking water.

I'd really like too know what you think of food logs. Not so much the content, but their regular appearance.



breakfast:

  • 1 glass of water, first thing
  • 3 slices of cheeseless pizza, thin crust, with green olives, mushrooms and sundried tomatoes
  • 1 mug of jasmine green tea
  • coffee
lunch:
  • bento bowl filled with:
    • romaine lettuce
    • quinoa* cooked with red lentils and non-fat broth
    • thawed frozen broccoli
    • radish sprouts*, sprouted by me
    • 1 shredded carrot*
    • 8 olives - a mix of green, black and not-so-black
    • squirt of bottled lemon juice
    • 1 high fibre whole wheat pita
  • water (0.6 L SIGG bottle)

afternoon:
  • coffee
  • 1 small sesame breadstick
  • teeny handful of mini choco chips

dinner:
  • Yoga Soup with:
    • yellow thai curry paste
    • ramen noodles
    • edamame*
    • 5 pot stickers
    • broccoli
    • ginger and garlic*
    • shredded carrot*
    • topped with lime juice, hot pepper oil and sesame oil
  • water, 3 tall glasses throughout the evening

vitamins:

  • B12, iron, calcium/vitamin D, B6

exercise:
  • morning: 20 minutes of various mat exercises - basic yoga, stretches, leg lifts, arm weights
  • evening: 25 minutes walk/run intervals in the freezing cold


*organic

Labels: ,


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was talking to aaron about how much i wanted the bento bowl, and now i *might* be getting one (?!) why do i feel like i need a bento bowl to have that yummy salad you described here? ah, mystery of life!

6:51 PM, April 04, 2007

 
Blogger jen said...

i think the food logs are a good idea (even if i don't always read them). i think they are good for new vegans or people who are curious about veganism to see what vegans eat.

for some reason the type on your blog is so tiny and it's driving me crazy to try to read it. did it get smaller or is it just me?

9:02 PM, April 04, 2007

 
Blogger mishka said...

Michelle - I like to think my salads taste better in the bento :)

jen - I think the font has always been this size. Thanks for letting me know that it is appearing too small - I'll make some adjustments!

10:00 PM, April 04, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in desperate need of some Grapefruit Frizzante which I found in one of your drink mixes. Where can it be purchased in Toronto?

11:45 AM, April 08, 2007

 
Blogger mishka said...

Loblaws! Or No Frills, or one of the other affiliated grocery stores. It's a President's Choice label and it can be found with the other soft drinks. It comes in orange, lemon and grapefruit.

7:43 AM, April 09, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home