A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Monday, May 22, 2006

Maybe not like the wind, but at least a gentle breeze...

Friday after work, I did something almost unimaginable.

I joined a running clinic.

What's worse, is that it's a "begin to run" clinic for people, like me, who cannot go for a few minutes without getting winded. It runs (ahem) for 8 weeks, starting next Monday and consists of a half hour of instruction (nutrition, stretching, technique, etc.) and a half hour of actual activity, beginning with walk/run intervals. The goal is to get the participants running for 30 minutes straight, without having to stop. That part makes me happy. The running "homework" kinda scares me.

My fitness level has decreased dramatically since moving to my current location, mostly because there is no gym immediately accessible. And my weekly ashtanga class can only provide so much exercise benefit. And I am lazy and need super-convenience in my exercise options. The clinic location is, literally, 5 minutes from my home.

Guess I should go out and buy me some real shoes since I doubt my 4 year old cheapo Payless shoes will suffice. Physical Fitness, here I come!!


8 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

wow -- that sounds both fun and horrible (i'm someone who gets easily winded, too). physical fitness, though, sounds like a cool thing to have!

5:06 PM, May 22, 2006

 
Blogger jen said...

that's great! running can be fun if you do it right. so smart of you to take the clinic!

definitely get some real running shoes though. don't skimp with your feet.

6:36 PM, May 22, 2006

 
Blogger krissy said...

wow, good for you! that intro class sounds like an excellent idea. i get winded really easily too. it sucks... but running scares me.

7:32 PM, May 22, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh - supercool! i've always wanted to take one of those. way to go! :)

8:28 PM, May 22, 2006

 
Blogger trudi said...

Sounds like fun! I also heard that running is the quickest way to increase your fitness level. I hate running, but wish I could learn to love it!

2:17 PM, May 24, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're a braver soul than me. :)

12:54 PM, May 25, 2006

 
Blogger Carla said...

Let us know when you get "runners high" eh! Good for you. I'm a fairweather exerciser. Also let us know when you get the shoes, New Balance has some vegan runners. Have fun!

12:19 PM, May 28, 2006

 
Blogger jen said...

have you been running?

10:21 AM, May 30, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home