A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Sunday, April 30, 2006

Food=Good

The Good Food Festival was pretty, um, good today. The boy and I went with Claire and we met up with my mom and sister. There weren't as many vegan/veggie products as in past years, but we still managed to secure tonnes of samples and buy a few well-priced items. The afternoon was spent sampling tofutti cuties (coffee flavoured. I got 2!), soymilk, salsas, indian foods, ice cream (by the boy and Claire and Steph. Mom can't do dairy), pita, hummus, spreads, juices, breads...

My purchases:


We picked up this great-smelling, loose jasmine tea, 3 for $20. We got 2 bags of the jasmine and Claire got 1 bag of orange ginger tea. The tea came in this cute bag, which Claire graciously allowed us to keep. She knows I would have whined if I didn't get it anyway, smart girl.



I have been using these purees more often lately. I feel like such a cheat, but they are so handy when I don't feel like peeling and chopping fresh garlic. Plus they are all perfect for adding to my yoga soup (which I eat at least twice a week). And they were only $1.50 each.



Unbleached parchment paper has been my saviour over the past year. I had never used it before and now I use it all the time. We just ran out, so I was happy to pick these up at 2 for $5.



This is my messy, but well-stocked freezer. The bread that we bought today has to be frozen since we don't eat it fast enough: Pita Break Pita - 3 for $5 (they're usually up to $3 each in the store) and Stonemill 11-grain bread for only $1.
  • Not in plain sight is the package of vegetable dumplings ($2.50) and free coffee packets that were in our entrance package.
  • In plain sight, the already-purchased box of Lick's burgers, Yves veggie dogs, Tofurky slices, Smartlife veggie sausage, edamame, Amy's cheeseless pizza, perogies, white sushi rice, bag of coffee beans on top of a container of frozen berries... and a bottle of voddie, only about 1/6 full.

Not photographed: bag of baby spinach and lolla rossa, and a bag of fresh cilantro, both only $1 each. The 3 lb bags of potatoes were selling 2 for $1, so the boy and I split with Claire - which means we got the potatoes for only 50 cents. Also 1 package of Pete's Tofu Peach Mango soft tofu, which the guy gave me free of charge after I asked if they had coupons to give away - he said no but that I could have a package! yay!


The best part of having a more limited-option diet at one of these things is that I do not feel gross and full like the others did. I am actually looking forward to dinner! Hmm.. now if I can be creative and figure out how to make something with everything I picked up... maybe a potato-garlic-spinach patty on pita? Somehow I think the boy will say a big fat NO to that :)

Now I'm off to take Pekoe outside on her harness. Tetley will have nothing to do with anything outside this apartment, so it'll just be me and Pekes... and a camera. Photos may follow...


4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

mmmm, food! i usually don't go to those kinds of festivals cause i feel like they won't have good stuff for me, but now i'm second guessing that idea. and cool how you weren't stuffed -- i hate that feeling and i get it all the time! glad you had such a nice day!

and your freezer looks like my freezer though mine is even more stuffed (and kinda messyish, though i cleaned it a bit recently).

i should try garlic puree since i'm chopping garlic like everyday lately...

7:02 PM, April 30, 2006

 
Blogger jen said...

i have never heard of a food festival before.

i always use the refrigerated jars of chopped garlic. works fine for me!

2:33 PM, May 01, 2006

 
Blogger krissy said...

wow, you got a lot of great stuff (for dirt cheap, too!). i'm especially jealous of the stonemill bread for $1. that is my favourite "grocery store" bread in the world but it's pretty expensive. i've never used those jars of garlic & ginger but i also use those ingredients a lot... maybe it's time to give them a try?

3:28 PM, May 03, 2006

 
Blogger Harmonia said...

What an awesome post! These items look great! I also just bought some tofutti cuties the wild berry kind...

8:44 AM, May 04, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home