A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Saturday, April 29, 2006

I have returned, unscathed!

Today was a lot of fun. After a slow start this morning, we headed out on our bikes around 1:30. We decided to ride along the Don Valley bike trails and I brought my camera in hopes of taking shots of the Toronto Brick Works, which didn't happen. But, we did get up close to the Don Valley Elevated Wetlands, which I was always curious about. They look like huge planters made out of elephant bodies.






The official website about these strange installments says:
"A wetlands environment was created within plastic structures. Waste plastic is used as a soil substitute to filter water and sustain plant and tree growth. Certain vegetation, such as that commonly found in wetland areas, has a natural ability to remove pollutants from the environment -- a process known as phytoremediation. A selection of such plants, shrubs and trees are growing in the sculptural planters."

Neat-o

After the Wetlands, we continued north up the trail. Now, I'm not gonna lie. I had to walk my bike up hills. Ain't no way my under-exercised legs could peddle me up. I walked up, while the boy would bike up, then back down, then back up again. Show off :)

Overall, we were out for about 2 hours. My body got oxygenated. I learned the hows and why of shifting gears. The boy and I bonded. He discovered he could "bunny hop". And we came home to have some Yoga Soup.

Tonight? American History X is on Rogers-on-demand. And maybe a wee bit more wine.

Tomorrow? The Good Food Festival. Yeah, baby.


4 Comments:

Blogger krissy said...

glad you had fun enjoying the sunshine today with the boy! even happier that you didn't break any bones. and that bead stash you bought yesterday...what fun! can't wait to see what you make.

9:00 PM, April 29, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

ooh very fun! i love those pictures of the plant sculptures!

and again a similar night but instead: movie on dvd (Taboo), pom juice with fruit, and popcorn!

11:54 AM, April 30, 2006

 
Blogger Carla said...

That's a great bike path over there!

4:09 PM, April 30, 2006

 
Blogger jen said...

i'm very impressed that he can do that bunny hop!

what kind of bike do you have? i bet with some practice shifting you could make it up those hills.

4:12 PM, April 30, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home