A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Tuesday, May 30, 2006

14 hours later and I'm still pooped.

I had my first Begin To Run class last night. It was okay... the physical part was fine, though tiring, but it's the group aspect that I'm not completely comfortable with.

We had to do individual introductions (ugh), stating our names and why we were taking the class. Most people said things like "I've been running for a while but I don't know anything about technique" or "I want to run a 10 k", etc.

Me: "I am lazy and I figured this would motivate me to get into shape."

So, there was some technique and posture instruction and then we went out. Walk for 4 minutes and run for 1 minute. Not bad. We repeated 5 times. Probably would have been easier had the city not been under a smog advisory. And probably would have been a wee bit tougher if I'd actually gone into work yesterday (took the day off due to the TTC strike).

The whole group-running thing, as I mentioned, is a bit uncomfy for me. I think, generally, I am a solitary exerciser. I actually don't find it easier to work out with a friend. I don't like to talk when I am working out, lest my huffing and puffing give away how out of shape I am. Stick with it I will, though. Maybe it'll get easier once I get over some shyness and try making friends. And maybe talking and running will become easier after I do my 2 days of homework this week - 2 more sessions just like last night's, on my own.

Oo - last week I popped into the store to buy good shoes... they're white, silver and pink! And non-leather! And comfy as heck.

So, I gotta ask. Is it normal to feel so hungry after running? Like, still really hungry the next day?


3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

those are some really fine shoes! and i'm glad to hear that you're gonna stick with it. i'm sure it will get easier. i know i'm always more hungry after a hike or other activity so being hungry seems normal to me. go eat something yummy!

11:26 AM, May 30, 2006

 
Blogger jen said...

yes, it's normal to be hungry, and you'll probably also need more sleep with intense exercise. make sure to drink a lot of water after running too!

if you don't like running with a group, you can do it on your own. (you can too, sadie!) just make sure you start slowly. this website has a good "couch to 5k" training program for people who haven't run before.

also, if you want moral support or information on the internet, there's a great board on ivillage of women interested in fitness. they are very friendly to new exercisers and vegetarians! several of them have done the counch to 5K program. i used to be co-cl there, and i'm going to start hanging out there again to get myself motivated to get back in shape. i need to seriously get serious.

9:00 AM, May 31, 2006

 
Blogger trudi said...

I think that feelings of hunger are normal, and should always be obeyed! (:

It's fantastic that you're doing this - I'm sure that in a couple of weeks, it will become easier.

5:54 PM, May 31, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home