A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Homemade Almond Milk

Almond milk foam

Every so often, I get tired of using water or soymilk in my morning muesli, and get a craving for some fresh almond milk. The flavour is really nice and it's a great substitute for other milks in cereal. I don't drink it straight since I never have been a fan of a glass of milk, dairy or otherwise, but I think I could drink a glass of this - it is very thin and refreshing. It would also be a great liquid to use in a smoothie or shake.

I searched for recipes on the internet, simplified and combined, and settled on this basic method:

1 cup raw almonds*, soaked in water for about 8 hours (or soaked slivered almonds)
3-4 cups of water (additional to the soaking water)
pinch of sea salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
maple syrup to taste (some recipes call for about 3 dates)

After soaking, blend all the ingredients until the nuts are pulpy. At this point, you are supposed to strain the pulp before storing the milk, but I skip this since I use it on lumpy cereal anyway. The pulp is just added fibre and nutrition! If you plan to drink it straight, however, you may want to strain it. Store in glass jars or bottles in the fridge. I use mine up in about a week.


soak the almonds...

Soaking raw almonds


blend it up with other ingredients until nice and frothy! The unstrained pulp sinks to the bottom...

Almond milk

* apparently, raw almonds will soon be a thing of the past. Stock up now!

Labels: ,


6 Comments:

Blogger krissy said...

that's just totally impressive! i would never even think of making my own almond (or soy) milk because i'm far too lazy.

8:37 AM, August 16, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never tried almond milk, but now I want to!

5:14 PM, August 16, 2007

 
Blogger LuC said...

that looks really good. i've never made it myself but i'd sure like to try. thanks for inspiring me.

8:05 PM, August 18, 2007

 
Blogger vania said...

I've cut down on soy milk too, and now use rice, but now that i saw this amazing recipe from you, i'll have to try almond! great job, i can just imagine the lovely aroma and taste of it.

12:05 PM, August 21, 2007

 
Blogger ysolda said...

ooh that's interesting :)
Have you tried oat milk? Of all the various types of 'milk' including dairy it's definitely my favourite.

7:05 PM, October 09, 2007

 
Blogger mishka said...

I tried making oat milk once, without a recipe, and it didn't turn out. I don't remember what the problem was, just that it wasn't appetising :) But, this past week, I've been making morning smoothies and including thick-cut oats (apple, oats, maple syrup, hemp protein, ground flax, nutmeg, water) and it's been really good!

7:36 PM, October 09, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home