A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Nanopod Studio

I just got an email from Akimbo about classes at Nanopod Studio. I'd done a little silver jewellery making in high school and loved it, so I've been thinking forever to take the beginner course – and now they are offering a 15% discount when you register with a friend! Now, if only I had an interested friend...

This is the email I received:


Celebrating our 2nd year on Harbord Street nanopod is offering 15% off 8 week & 3 week courses when you register with a friend!
Summer Courses & Workshops

Learn to hand fabricate & cast your own jewelry & sculptures out of Sterling Silver!

You will make a band ring,
learn one of the oldest casting techniques,
set stones, and much more...


Beginning Jewelry July 4th or July 9th
8 weeks, Monday evenings or Wednesday evenings
6:30 - 9:30pm $250 (deposit of half is required to hold space)

week #1: First evening: working with copper-safety, drilling, sawing, soldering.
week #2: Making a band ring out of silver (stamp, hammer finish, roller print, etc.)
week #3:working with wax create pieces w/the lost wax technique
week #4: Finishing wax projects, cleaning up castings> cuttlebone casting [mishka: I will have to ask if there is an alternative to the cuttlebone class. maybe more wax practice?]
week #5: bezel settings, tube settings, alternative settings for found objects
week #6: forming & findings (ear wires, pin backs, pendants), married metal > create beautiful silver beads,etc.
week #7: riveting, make another piece!
week #8: finish up projects

No experience necessary!

Labels:


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya! Sounds like a lot of fun. I am quite familiar with the process of silversmithing as I took an intro course at OCAD years ago as a student there.

Surprisingly, the course did not teach us about casting and so I'm really keen on taking a casting-only course now.

I think that I'll wait until September to do that as I'm embarking on a 2-week European vacation in August and should probably save my money for that.

Good luck in finding a buddy to team up with :D

7:46 PM, June 27, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home