A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Monday, June 11, 2007

Camping season begins! Let's eat!

Vegan brunch

This weekend will be the first camping trip of the summer. And that means that I'm starting to think of one of my favourite parts of camping - cooking and eating outdoors!

I'm hoping to not bring too much food this time. When I start figuring out the food list, it's like I'm shopping for an army instead of just 2 people! This is my list so far:
  • pre-marinated scrambled tofu: crumbled tofu, marinated in lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic and mixed with sun-dried tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, nutritional yeast
  • (maybe) premade potato salad: potatoes, vinaigrette, broccoli, asparagus
  • premade quinoa salad: quinoa, red lentils, sun-dried tomatoes, leafy greens, lemon juice
  • 1 can of baked beans in tomato sauce
  • 1 package of veggie bacon
  • package of whole wheat bagels
  • 1 box of Lick's Nature Burgers
  • burger buns
  • burger toppings: tomato, onion, lettuce?
  • potatoes, carrot and onion pouches (vegetables, foil)
  • Earth Balance, canola oil
  • ketchup, dijon mustard
  • bannock mix - flour, oil, salt
  • peanut butter
  • apples
  • V8, water, pop
We know a couple who went on a camping trip with nothing but trail mix. Just to see if they could last eating nothing else! I think they lasted 2 days before they started trading trail mix for their friends' food.

What veg-friendly food do you using bring with you on camping trips, car trips and picnics?

Labels: , ,


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummm...dont forget the salt and pepper like we did beforeee...=] IM SO GLAD YOU GOT THE CAR. Now you can FINALLY go campinggg.Have fun!!! Hope the weathers nicee
xox.

9:28 PM, June 11, 2007

 
Blogger jen said...

don't ask me, if there is anything i hate more than cooking (ever) and sleeping outdoors, it's waking up from sleeping outdoors and having to cook!

hope you have fun though!

9:48 PM, June 11, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha! not a camper myself- last time i tried camping I got a UTI and had to go on antibiotics - I need my clean washroom facilities, my oh-so-comfy bed and loads of food - you got that part bang-on!

Have you ever heard of Okara patties? I just stumbled on them at my neighbourhood supermarket and they are so awesome! Total 100% soybean-based protein from soybean pulp - don't need to be cooked just warmed up in a frying pan with a drop of oil - four bites all-in-all, very filling.

Looks like your food list is almost complete - what about your book list - magazine list - remedy list (i.e. bug spray, sunblock, etc)

oh...oh! marshmallows and veggie dogs for the camp fire in the evening and binoculars - for bird watching - of course :D

12:59 AM, June 12, 2007

 
Blogger vania said...

Mmm..that list sounds fantastic and the bacon in the photo looks so yummy. I think everything i would bring (and more) is listed. I love the idea of taking pre-marinated scrambled tofu - great idea! Oh, and i would add vegan marshmallows, banana, chocolate and tin foil for a fire dessert for sure!

8:00 AM, June 12, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we _might_ go camping a night or two this weekend, too if we're able to borrow/rent a car to visit my sister! my sister will be in olympia! that's only a little over an hour away! where you going?

i might bring different stuff this year, but in the past our favorites have been:
shells n chreese
3-pack soymilks
spicy dried vegetables for spinkling on the shells n chreese!
pb or cashew or almond butter
bread or melba toasts or crackers
lara bars
dried black bean soup
tasty bite!
corn on the grill
gosh, now i'm forgetting!

have fun lucky ducks!

12:38 PM, June 12, 2007

 
Blogger Tamara said...

Mmm, I love to bring the Tofurkey beer brats or italian sausage to roast on the campfire. They are pretty fattening, not something I eat every day, but fun for camping. Hope you have a blast!

6:14 PM, June 12, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

- instant mashed taters
- instant oats
custom trail mix (random nuts and such that I put together. I like tamari almonds, cherries, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds and apricots.
- hot cocoa mix
- coffee!

1:01 AM, June 13, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home