A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sewing on Sunday

After reading several tutorials online over the past few weeks, I decided to sit down and create my very own shirred top with some bargain fabric I bought for $1. I would have loved to make a dress, but I didn't have enough fabric and bargain hunters can't be too choosey.

Instructions and me don't really get along - cooking, sewing, knitting are always partly freeform for me. I always change something or don't look as closely to directions as I should. Or take proper measuremements, as was the case with this top. I measured 40 inches across and cut. Then I sewed the edges and the gathers - using the winding elastic thread onto the bobbin method - and realised I'd way underestimated the width I'd need. Luckily there was enough leftover fabric to cut a 15 inch panel to use for the back of the top, which worked out perfectly!

I kept thinking about straps - should I make them? Should I just use a ribbon? How about a simple halter-style tie? In the end, I kept it strapless. I don't mind the look of black bra straps acting as top straps, plus I can wear a strappy tank underneath or a cardigan overtop when the weather gets cooler.

I loved making this top so much, and it was incredibly easy, despite having to fix my negligent mistakes. It is very comfortable, and I plan to make more!

fabric detail:
Shirred top, fabric detail

top: (I took about 40 shots, and I only got 1 usable photo!)
Shirred top!

Labels:


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how cute are you?!? i love it!

7:06 PM, August 12, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

super cute!

7:56 PM, August 12, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...it's been a while, eh?
BTW, Good job on the top!!
I have an idea for some 'makeshift' straps. You can add some satiny black ribbon as straps and tie the straps on your shoulder tops which would in turn mask the bra straps. You also get the nice bow effect on your shoulders too :)

11:06 PM, August 12, 2007

 
Blogger krissy said...

i totally love this! as if that cute fabric was $1! awesome.

11:21 PM, August 12, 2007

 
Blogger jen said...

adorable top! i'm super impressed, that looks hard to make.

11:40 PM, August 12, 2007

 
Blogger vania said...

I love your top! Great job! I want to try to make a top/dress with this ruching technique, but need to go out and by the elastic. You've inspired me, for sure!

11:01 AM, August 15, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home