A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Happiness of the moment - 29.11.07

A couple of times I have tried reviving my One-a-day Goodness posts, and this is yet another attempt. I think it is really important to help put things into perspective and focus on the positive things in life. Living the way most North Americans do, it is far too easy to get caught up in the negativity that is rampant in our culture.

The format for this new attempt will have to be worked out. I'll just start by listing a few things off the top of my head. The list may be updated during the day as I think of new things.

And, now that we've hired 2 new people at work, I'll have a few extra minutes during the day to put my list up!

  • Getting to meet one sweet baby. Monday night, Tara and Jean-Paul had the boy and me over for dinner and our first eager meeting of their adorable and teensy baby, Vincent. Tara is one of my oldest friends and the second of my friends to have a baby. I know most people go through phases when all their friends have babies, but when most of your friends are gay men you rarely get to experience this. Vincent is now 1 month old (although his official due date just passed) and he was on his best behaviour. He even settled a bit and fell asleep on me. I think it had to do mostly with a feeling of solidarity - I was wearing a black top. Like him. And like his mother does :)
  • Swapping gifts with near-stangers with similar interests! I have a package waiting for me right now at the post office that I expect is from one of my swap partners. I am trying to find someone who will drive me out there to get it :) It's very exciting and is giving me something to look forward to!
  • Urging myself to go out running last night. It was the first run since sometime in September and I did much better than I thought I would. I couldn't run the entire route that I used to, but I came very close. Feeling the chilly almost-winter air stinging my lungs was actually quite rejuvenating.
  • The personality and talent shift at work. We've hired 2 new people and it feels like we're succeeding in overthrowing the evil. The atmosphere is not as heavy as it used to be and the influx of different design styles is going to make our work so much more interesting.
  • The TV series "Planet Earth". The boy and I have been watching this nature show every night - oooing and aaaawing over baby animals, giggling at running penguins and watching in astonishment as a pride of desperate lions take down a full grown elephant. Although it constantly shows us how human existence is severely tampering with the earth's resources, it also reveals the incredible amounts of beauty there still is to see and experience and respect.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay happiness! Thanks for cheering me up and for the inspiration to post my happy stuff too. Planet Earth sounds great, I'll have to see if it's on on any stations I get.

11:13 AM, November 29, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ACK! you had me up until the lions killed the elephant. you are a far stronger woman than i, dear mishka.

in other news--love your happy list!

2:35 PM, November 29, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

Ellie - I highly recommend the show! We, uh, "find" copies of the shows... but I think it must play regularly in the US somewheres... I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_(TV_series)

Lindsay - I have sorry about the elephant. It made me sad, as do many other scenes. I just have to remind myself that this is how real-life critters survive. I'm sure they'd eat tofu and tings if they could :)

3:34 PM, November 29, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

These are nice things.

10:21 AM, November 30, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home