A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Monday, October 16, 2006

Knitting content

(I promise my Portland Post is coming soon!)

My first sock

During my visit to Portland, Michelle helped me start a sock. She took me to her LYS where we browsed a basket full of Cascade Fixation sock yarn. I really wanted to stick with the blue-grey colour for the full length, but there was only one ball in that colour. So I decided I'd be very happy to have a mostly green sock, with blue-grey at the top. Since I don't own teeny sock needles, Michelle let me borrow her's while I was there and when I got home, I made my own set!

I bought:
1 pack of bamboo skewers
1 sheet of fine sand paper

I cut 4 of the skewers to length, and used a sharp knife to whittle (hee!) the cut end into a dull pont. Then, I rubbed the ends smooth with the sand paper. Once all slivers were polished down, I alternated between rubbing an old candle along the wood and rubbing the wood with a piece of paper until the needle was nice and smooth. Of course, I have to repeat the last step every so often when the tips start to splinter again, but I'm pretty happy with my new needles!

Now, I just hope I don't get what Michelle told me is called Second Sock Syndrome.


7 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Yay! You have been knitting a lot! When you get to how long you want the leg to be, put the sock on stitch holders and start the next one! Methinks that's the ticket...but perhaps others have ideas??? (I kinda think second sock syndrome is silly, but someone was eventually gonna tell you about it, so I figured it might as well be me!)

2:03 AM, October 17, 2006

 
Blogger Harmonia said...

I LOVE those colors you are using! I wish I had that talent!!

8:31 AM, October 17, 2006

 
Blogger krissy said...

you know, while i was making veggie kabobs last week, i was thinking that the skewers could probably be used as knitting needles. damn....i bought teeny needles for exactly this purpose and still haven't even ventured into sock territory yet. i hate it when i spend money on things that don't get used!

ps. your sock looks great!

1:51 PM, October 17, 2006

 
Blogger gwern said...

mishka, you're like, the coolest person ever - making yer own needles and knitting socks n' stuff. i wish i could knit something other than half a crooked scarf. :)

5:35 PM, October 17, 2006

 
Blogger Katie Johnson said...

I've always wondered if I could do that with those bamboo sticks! They're so cheap they're almost free! Now I'm going to have to try that.

Also, I love the colors of the socks together. It looks like you made a great, bold choice, not like you ran out of yarn. Nice!

10:00 AM, October 18, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that you made your own needles! and i love that sock--too cute.

what is second sock syndrome?

5:27 PM, October 19, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

how's this sock coming?

10:00 AM, November 16, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home