A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Thursday, November 23, 2006

Getting Fit.

After I got my full license this past September, I started bugging the boy about getting a car. I'd actually rather be one of those happily car-free people, but, with our family in the northwest edge of the GTA, we have definitely seen more than our fair share of GO Buses. Plus, without car access, it is too difficult for us to get out of the city for other things - hiking, biking, seeing real stars, etc.

We talked about how we would love to buy a hybrid - being the environmentally aware people we like to be - but the prices are a wee bit out of our reach. Plus, after some research, it was discovered that with the trips we'd be taking, most hybrids will actually use the same amount of gas as a fuel-efficient gas-powered car. Boo.

So, regular car it is. Our criteria: must be fuel-efficient, must have enough room to cart camping equipment and/or 2 bikes, must have 4 doors and must be a hatchback. Well, those are the ones I care about. The boy knows more about other car things that I don't care to clutter my brain with.

He is wonderful at painfully researching things to death before buying, so I left this part up to him. For the longest time we were leaning towards the Nissan Versa. In fact, he was all over it. Until he took a look at the Honda Fit.

The Fit is very fuel efficient, has a hatchback and does this crazy transformer thing that allows you to move seats and create tonnes of space! Plus, the back seats fold down flush, unlike other hatchbacks where the back seats, when folded down, poke up a bit a couple of inches and creates a slope down towards the back door.

And, for me, the car is cute, small, comes in great colours (we *heart* the superhero blue!) and has the awesomest headlamps!

The plan is to buy in February/March - just in time for the snow to begin melting :)

Labels:


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No...don't do it!
Don't give in to buying a car when you can share one and do the environment and your pockets a favour. Look into Autoshare first before you buy...you can even borrow the 'mini cooper' and take it for a spin, if you like cute, peppy, nicely designed cars!


www.autoshare.com

5:11 PM, November 23, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

Sorry, Sophie - we're doing it. We're members of AutoShare and it doesn't work for us. It is expensive for the trips we take and you can't book overnight cars.

Seriously, we have spent a lot of money with them. I love the idea of AutoShare, don't get me wrong, but it hasn't worked out for us. Plus, I can't use AutoShare cars myself. I haven't had my license for 4 years.

We've thought long and hard about this :) We don't see our families nearly as much as we want to because getting out to see them is a HUGE ordeal via GO Bus. And it is extremely important to me to see my family. We're not type to drive in the city - we'll still use the TTC - it's just for getting out of the city. We're still responsible like that.

5:29 PM, November 23, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you've done your research M.
I didn't mean to impose...sorry! I just don't like cars *period*...so I can be quite biased when i hear people are buying new cars, esp. when they live in the city. My two cents... :)

6:54 PM, November 23, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

no worries, Sophie. I am quite opinionated myself in certain areas :) As my boyfriend has assured me...

I hope my response didn't come off as bitchy. I do really appreciate the suggestion - it was a great one. It's just really too bad that our needs are different than what AutoShare can offer us. I really did want it to work for us!

7:11 PM, November 23, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heart hondas. we've had two of them, and my mom and uncle have had a couple as well. i think you'll be very happy!

10:40 PM, November 23, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

superhero blue!

10:38 AM, November 24, 2006

 
Blogger vania said...

Wow, congrats on the car-buying adventure. I appreciate how thorough you both are with your research. I've had the same car since 1993 and while it's literally starting to fall apart and i'll miss it, i'm looking forward to being car-less for a while. And making a great choice like you when i'm ready to re-car!

7:54 PM, November 24, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

hee! thanks mom :)

8:37 AM, November 26, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home