A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Saturday, November 18, 2006

Almost-FOs and Jettin'

I have become one of those "it's the holidays now I must knit a bunch of stuff" knitters. While I was in Portland, Michelle got me started on a pair of socks and now I'm just about ready to do the heel on each. Michelle told me that it helps to knit one sock to the heel, then start the next one, just to make sure that second one gets done. I know if I had completed one full sock, I'd never get to the next one because I'd feel "done". By starting the next one before the first one is finished, it keeps the project in progress, and helps avoid that overwhelming feeling of "Oh no, now I gotta do this all over again??"

Pippi Long Stocking - in progress

Here are my socks so far (and the bamboo skewer needles I crafted). I may add a few more rows before I start the heel, but I'm pretty happy with them. Of course, I made up part of the pattern as I went along (because I can never just follow instructions) so the ribbing at the top of the socks is a different size on each. I'm okay with it, though, since the dark stripe is the same width on both socks.


Skinny Scarf

This is a scarf I'm knitting for one of my gift swap partners. I'm involved in 3 at the moment - Vegan Pal and a Holiday Gift Swap on Vegan Represent. The skinny scarf is knit in a 4x4 rib with some gorgeously soft EcoKnit organic cotton. After I finish this, I'm going to knit a neckwarmer in the EcoKnit for another swap recipient... just not sure which pattern I'll use yet.

Today the boy and I went to Flight Centre and booked our flight to Vancouver over the holidays. We leave early on December 26th and return on a red eye flight (I've never been on a red eye before... it feels neat to say <-- dork) on January 2nd, then head straight back to work (blah). I'm excited about the trip - I've never been to Vancouver and I've heard such great things. I know I'll have to do some research on good veg*n places to eat and shops to visit - but if anyone has any suggestions, you know what to do :)


8 Comments:

Blogger gwern said...

beautiful knitted stuffs, mishka!

i'm so jealous (wait, is it envious?), of vancouver tripping! man, i thought i'd be living there by now. ha. :p

here's a site i sometimes look at (check out the left hand column for shops 'n stuff). http://www.korvus.com/vancouvervegan/

8:06 PM, November 18, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

oh, i'm glad that worked! i wasn't sure if that sounded silly when i said it. good luck with the rest!

yay vancouver!

11:29 AM, November 19, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hopes I'm on your swap list*

12:30 PM, November 19, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what gladcow said :)

8:51 AM, November 20, 2006

 
Blogger jen said...

ugh, taking a red eye coast-to-coast and then going straight to work SUCKS. the problem is that the flight isn't actually long enough to get a night's sleep (what is it? like 4.5 hours in the air?), it's just the time difference that makes it an "overnight" flight.

we are taking a red eye to scotland tonight, but at least the flight is 8 hours and i can take an ambien and actually get some sleep.

but vancouver for new year sounds really fun! i've really wanted to go to vancouver for a while now. then again, i've also really wanted to go to toronto for a while too!

8:55 AM, November 20, 2006

 
Blogger vania said...

oh, i'm glad you're going to vancouver! i went there for the first time in the summer and loved it. i wrote about it in August, but i'll send you some info for ya - one great vegan place to eat is the Naam but there are other good places too!

1:46 PM, November 20, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mishka--soooo pretty!!

gwern--yes, envious. ;)

5:57 PM, November 21, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice knitting. Hand made are the best sorts of gifts. That's wonderful. :)

9:51 PM, November 25, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home