A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Maybes

From everything I've read, exercise is supposed to make you feel good, yeah? Why is it, then, that I feel so bad? Not physically - my muscles feel quite good - but emotionally. I wish I could blame it on PMS, but it's the wrong time for that. It feels like a general feeling of depression, which I've experienced several times before, but I would have hoped that all the running/walking sessions I've had in the past week would negate any unexplained depression. Hmm. Maybe I'm just having a bad couple of days.

I had my second Begin to Run class last night, and I am still feeling the awesome effects of heavy breathing in my lungs. They feel so clear and strong, and my breathing feels purposeful. Maybe if I picture all that happy and positive oxygen flowing through my bloodstream I will visualize myself into a better mood.

The group-exercise thing still was an issue for shy little me, but halfway through the outing part of the class (the first part is instruction... this week was about shoes and foot types *snore*) I began talking to one of the girls and we continued to talk for the rest of the walk/run. She approached me, of course, on account o'the shyness. She had missed last week's class and was just starting out last night. I have to admit, talking to her made the exercise go by more quickly. Maybe there *is* something to this group support.

On the crafty front, I will be meeting with a shop owner on Thursday about selling earrings in her shop! Hooray! Sadly, I ran out of head pins and am unable to make more of the styles that I like, which means my stock might be limited unless I can get to the bead supply store today. Maybe if I run out of time, I will try the craft department at Walmart at Scarborough Town Centre, which I have easy access to. UGH.

In more crafty news, I am about 3/4 of the way through my super-modified Asana, which I diligently work on during my commutes. Since I am a not a perfectionist when it comes to knitting, I have used about 3 different types of yarn to knit the bodice - starting out with a thicker cotton, then moving on to a different brand of cotton, then on to a mercerized cotton. There are definite shifts in tone and texture with each switch, but I'm okay with that. Maybe I'll actually get around to taking a photo of my progress soon.

Lastly, I was hoping someone could help me out with some running advice. I do my homework runs in the mornings because I can't stand the thought of doing them after work (Monday night classes aside). The problem I am finding is with energy. Does anyone know if I ate something carby before bed, would that energy still be available 7-8 hours later when I go out to run? Right now, I have a few almonds and some chocolate smilk (and some cold coffee made the night before) right before I go out, but I feel that I need more and I simply will not get out of bed a half hour earlier just to eat something. Anyone? Anyone?


5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

hmmm, this is not my area of expertise by a long shot. that said, i _think_ that eating something before bed means that you have some food going un/under-digested in your system cause your body slows down while you sleep? i mean, aa has a bowl of cereal almost every night before he goes to bed so it's not a terrible thing BUT it's more like it slows him down (to be sleepy) than energizes, ya know?

maybe you could have hot cereal prepared in a thermos the night before or eat it cold or have some toast or fruit or something simple? though again, what do i know: we rode the nj train with two of stacey's friends who were talking about waking up early to go to the gym and not eating beforehand and we just smiled and nodded, but thinking in our heads "no effing way are we doing ANYTHING without eating!" but i love to eat and i'm not overly active, either so...

i hope jen comes along and answers your question for real.

that sounds nice, that lung quality you described.

4:28 PM, June 06, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

oh, and i got so absorbed in pretending i know what i'm talking about, that i forgot to talk about the things i DO get, like asana. yes, pictures please! i just checked out the pattern again and it seems like chaning cottons in spots makes sense. and good luck for thursday! i hope you get the thingies you need so that you can show off your favorite kinds of pieces!

4:31 PM, June 06, 2006

 
Blogger jen said...

depression can be a sign of over-training, but i think in your case it's just a coincidence and you just happen to be feeling bad. the anti-depressive effects of exercise could take several weeks of regular exercise to become noticiable.

i don't think eating before bed is going to help you. if you want to eat in the am, eat carbs that are easily digestable (save the nuts for after your run). michelle's idea of having some hot cereal cooked the night before and ready to eat is a good idea. liquids will be digested better than solids, so if you have time, a smoothie is a great pre-workout snack. good "grab and go" options include a banana or half a clif bar.

some people are much more prone to feeling sick from exercising with food in their stomach than other people. you'll just have to test out what works for you. if you eat oatmeal and feel sick while running, slow down to a walk, and try something different the next time. also, if you start out with small portions, you can train your stomach to accept food. marathoners and other endurance athletes do this.

i'm glad you are enjoying your clinic - good for you for sticking with it!

10:03 AM, June 07, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

Thanks for the advice and support. I've sent an email to my trainer guy about the eating thing, and I eagerly await his reply.

A few people have suggested oatmeal to me, which, as an oatmeal lover, I am not adverse to at all. I like the idea of pre-making it - at night, I can just throw some water or vanilla smilk into a container with some oatmeal and wheat germ and let it sit all night. I prefer it just rehydrated and not cooked anyway. I'll give it a try Friday morning.

Smoothies are definitely out unless I want to wake up the boy. I also like the Clif bar idea. I never think of those unless I'll be travelling and need to bring snacks with me. The almonds will now get moved to the after-run snack-slot.

As for the depression, it has slightly subsided today. The boy has been as sweet as pumpkin pie in trying to make me smile... making me love notes, giving me hugs, cracking groan-worthy jokes. He's also been very supportive and reasonable in telling me not to get discouraged about my struggle with this fitness thing. He's told me not to get too down and to go at my own pace - even if it means I don't run as long as everyone else in the class. And I tell ya, the last 1.5 min interval this morning was *hard*.

okay. I've blabbered on enough. Thanks my bloggy knitty veggie friends.

1:15 PM, June 07, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

oh, that's so good to hear! and you didn't blather on at all (i was wondering about all the things you touched on here) so that's good and good. and cool to email your trainer, too. i bet he's got some good info, too.

re: smoothies -- not that i've done this before, but i bet you could put it in the fridge for overnight, too. i've done this with juice that i juiced (and with "milk"shakes!)

9:45 AM, June 08, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home