A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Sunday, March 12, 2006

Good timing, drinks and the Distillery


Saturday morning, as we began our day, the boy and I compared our tummies. We have both gained weight during our first year together and are planning on incorporating more exercise into our routine. Maybe evening walks, since he has recently messed up his knee playing soccer and can't do anything too vigorous. We live in a nice area, so walking is pretty enjoyable - except it makes me jealous to see all the gorgeous houses in our community and we are a couple of years away from even thinking about buying a home.

Neither of us realised how appropriate this tummy-comparing would be. We had tickets to see the opening of Eve Ensler's The Good Body at the newly renovated Danforth Music Hall. There were 6 of us in total and none of us really knew what to expect. I had read the synopsis of the show a couple of months ago but I'd forgotten it all by this time. I'm glad I did forget because it meant I went into the show with no notions of what I was about to see and hear. It was wonderful. It was hard not to compare it to The Vagina Monologues, which I've seen 3 times, because it was performed in very much the same style. This was almost comforting as I knew that, after being pulled into the depths of a traumatic story, we would be immediately relieved by a jolt of humour or a dramatic shift of direction. As Eve Ensler discussed her struggle to accept, irradicate, diminish, and cover up her less-than-flat tummy, I couldn't help smiling at the memory of the boy and I grabbing our protruding bellies earlier.



~~~ The Old Nick ~~~

Saturday night, we met up with the usual group of suspects for drinks and games at The Old Nick on Danforth. The pub is fairly nondescript but cozy. The service is decent and friendly and the food is basic pub stuff. The one interesting thing about the pub is that they have a stack of games that you can play. Claire brought her own - Sequence and Rummy-O (photo) - and we played the 90's edition of Trivial Pursuit. Well, actually, we just took turns reading out questions, which is the fun part anyway. My cousin Jamie and his partner Greg hauled their butts into the city from Milton for the night, which was awesome because I miss my cousin tonnes.

the group.

Chris looking cute.

The boy=ham.



~~~ The Distillery ~~~



Sunday was gorgeous. I'm not sure, but I think it reached about 15 degrees. A beautiful day for taking photos downtown with friends at The Distillery District.







Facing the main entrance of The Distillery.







A shot of a cool rusted old truck.







Random click facing the south end.




~~~ Odd cat thing ~~~


Tetley does this really weird thing - she sits in front of a mirror I have sitting on my floor (because I haven't decided where to put it yet) and she watches me through it. She had just turned her head when I snapped this, but she faces the mirror and watches me... and creeps me out.


7 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Such lovely pictures, Mishka! You look super happy, and it looks like you had a lot of fun this weekend.

Funny, if I lose weight, AA's gaining and vice versa. He's losing right now so you know what that means (grr!)

You feel better now, yes?

8:59 AM, March 13, 2006

 
Blogger trudi said...

Looks like you guys had a great weekend - love the photos!

9:06 AM, March 13, 2006

 
Blogger jen said...

sounds like a fun weekend!

where is that mamoun's falafel tee shirt from? i grew up on mamoun's falafel in new haven, connecticut. are there other mamoun's?

10:02 AM, March 13, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

Good eye, Jen!

The t-shirt is from that very Mamoun's! My friend Iain lives in Connecticut and he took me there when I visited about 8 years ago. He told me I *had* to buy a shirt because the picture was so funny. I did and the boy has claimed it. I don't know how many locations they have, but the shirt says New Haven and NYC.

Funny: in the summer we were approached by 2 kids on the subway, who were apparently visiting Toronto from New Haven, because of the shirt. They were happily surprised to see someone wearing something so obscure from their hometown :D

10:13 AM, March 13, 2006

 
Blogger vania said...

i just saw The Good Body on Sunday and i loved it. I love the mixture of feelings it provoked - i laughed, cringed, empathcized, and cried a little at the end. Fantastic play, she is Amazing! I love the Distillery District - and the weather was perfect for it, you're right!

7:55 AM, March 14, 2006

 
Blogger jen said...

new haven is representing in toronto, i love it!

new haven kicks ass and so does mamoun's falafel. that place has such memories for me, hanging out with my high school friends. plus, it's really good falafel. back then, it was the only place to get falafel that i knew of. since i went away to college, of course, i've had many a falafel from all over but i still think mamoun's is the best.

yay, it does make me happy to see the shirt and know you've been there. small world!

9:20 AM, March 14, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

I came back to find out if the falafel place you guys were talking about was called "Mamoun's," cause I just walked past it the other day, on MacDougal St. (by Bleeker-ish). Would have eaten for sure if I knew it was "the one," but I was pretty excited for the ethiopian food at Meskerem across the way that I was about to eat.

10:05 AM, April 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home