A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Monday, February 20, 2006

amo el alimento mexicano

Okay, the Spanish is probably way off. But I loved the Mexican-ish casserole I tried out on Friday:

  • Mixed TVP with refried beans, leftover tomato sauce, salsa, spices, garlic and a little nutritional yeast
    • Misted oil onto the bottom of a glass baking dish
      • cut about 1/2 a package of small corn tortillas into strips and arranged 1/3 of them on the bottom of the dish
        • dumped 1/2 the TVP mix onto the tortilla layer
        • sprinkled non-dairy cheese over the mixture
          • added the second third of tortilla strips
          • more “cheese” and the last of the tortilla strips. Lightly sprayed the top with oil and added more “cheese”
          • Baked for about 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

          Very tasty! The boy loved it and it made enough for a light lunch the next day :)

    Labels:


    3 Comments:

    Blogger Michelle said...

    Oh god, yum. I always like the food on here. Really good, but not overly complex. There is a TON of food around here right now, so I'm not going to be able to make this in awhile. Ho hum.

    6:01 PM, February 20, 2006

     
    Blogger Steve said...

    Sounds yum! I have this bag of TVP here that I have no idea what to do with- thanks for the idea. :)

    8:19 AM, February 21, 2006

     
    Blogger mishka said...

    I'd love to hear what you guys think of it after you try it :) And let me know if you make any interesting additions. I'm thinking of trying it again tonight with some corn added - we also ate it with extra salsa and tofutti sour cream.

    9:36 AM, February 21, 2006

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home