A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Thursday, February 23, 2006

You can take the girl out of the 80s...

Well, you know the rest.

As I was getting dressed today, I came to a realization. I had put on a pair of blue jeans (I only own 2 pairs of jeans) and a bright red top. I looked at myself in the mirror, and I felt plain. The problem: too much colour. Yes, I felt plain without something black.

I grew up during the mid-80s - the time of black clothes, buckle boots, white face make-up, thick dark eyeliner, teased Robert Smith/Siouxsie Sioux hair - and it has never really left me. It was a time when, though only a 12/13 year old, I really started to develop who I am now - I discovered my artistic talents, I started colouring my hair, I stopped eating meat, I sought out all things "alternative." 21 years later, I wear a lot of black, I never tan my face (I have been known to tan the rest of my body, though, while on vacation), I feel insanely nostalgic when I hear early Smiths, my eyeliner extends just a wee bit too far from the outer edges of my eyes, I love it when my hair contains a bit of black, plus a bunch of other stuff that doesn't have to do with my appearance.

So, when I looked at myself in the mirror this morning, jeans and a red shirt just couldn't cut it. But I had a sudden spark of creativity - I took an old black t-shirt that had shrunk up (I hate when they do that), cut off most of the torso and put it on over the red shirt. I felt better.

I had something black.



13 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

This is an adorable post and NO JOKE I am listening to the smiths right now (also a sense of nostalgia -- I get really weak from that song "Still Ill" -- it just played a few minutes ago). It's now on "Girl Afraid."

Nice way to get the black in there. I should figure out how to use those shrunken tees, too.

2:38 PM, February 23, 2006

 
Blogger Harmonia said...

Totally Tubular!

I love the 80s!

3:37 PM, February 23, 2006

 
Blogger jen said...

cute shirt modification but your experience of the 80s was COMPLETELY different than mine!

to be more early 80s, you would have needed to add a dozen neon orange rubber bracelets and a fedora, and to be more late 80s you would have needed to throw a plaid flannel shirt over your red tee, ripped the knee of your jeans, and doodled all over your chuck taylors.

4:04 PM, February 23, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

hehe - yeah... I joined the alternative-freaky club early on and hung on for dear life. No rippy jeans or plaid for me! Although, I will admit to some neon stuff a year or two earlier... complete with headbands and a "Choose Life" sweatshirt! Of course, I didn't fully understand the sentiments of "Choose Life" at the time... but it did quickly get replaced by a "Frankie Say Relax" shirt in 1985...

*sigh* Good times. Right Trudi?

4:17 PM, February 23, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Funny, I came back to modify my comment some and I see Jen's written something similar to what I had been thinking as I ate my lunch. I often think of my style as 80's influenced (though style really is influenced by a lot of things and time periods), and that's because of all of the color -- bright colored tights, bright jewelry. But I remember the black part of the 80's, too, though it didn't have nearly as much of an effect on me. I think by the time I noticed the cure, it might have been the early 90's already. And I liked it, but by then I was listening to Nirvana, etc. I'm digressing, now.

4:25 PM, February 23, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Ooh, we posted at the same time! I really wish I had one of those "Wake me up before you go go" t-shirts!

4:26 PM, February 23, 2006

 
Blogger jen said...

i would LOVE a "wake me up" or "frankie says relax" tee shirt!! i bet they are like $75 on ebay :(

my most prized tees that i still own are my concert tee from U2's joshua tree tour (which i bought at the actual concert - one of the best concerts i've ever been to) and my PIL tee that says "tour tee shirt" from their "album" tour (which i did not attend).

my use of color and layering in my wardrobe these days is very reminiscent of the 80s too. i'm riding a fine line between fashionable and pathetic old lady.

11:49 PM, February 23, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew Michelle in her early 'black' period and although i am soon to be 33, I still wear mostly black clothing. Although, as an adult with a constantly shifting identity, I have discovered the great world of greys. I still feel pretty monochromatic and wouldn't even dare to go red. Except maybe on a tie. Burgundy. Well, maybe not. Also - I can't stand The Smiths.

11:50 PM, February 23, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

by "Michelle", he means me. Not the other Michelle(knits) ;)

Thanks for the love, Iain. I think I would drop dead if you wore red.

11:54 PM, February 23, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Interesting that Iain doesn't like the smiths. As we know, it was Morrissey who said "I wear black on the outside cause black is how I feel on the inside" (!!)

I didn't realize you were a Michelle!

12:08 AM, February 24, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

Mishka's just a nickname... shhhhh.....




(makes it easier since there's already a knitting blogging vegan named Michelle... and you were here first!)

12:08 AM, February 24, 2006

 
Blogger trudi said...

Totally true! Once an 80's chick, always an 80's chick! They were good times, and we were really cool and fashionable, in a freaky kind of way - I have the photos to prove it!

I still also wear black nearly everyday - just can't give it up! Black is always the new black.

I caught a bit of a song on a top 40 radio station today, and they were using "tainted love" as the back track! But, I'm sure that kids today wouldn't even get the reference! I'm such an oldie,

T.

9:15 AM, February 24, 2006

 
Blogger mishka said...

"... kids today..." - haha

10:14 AM, February 24, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home