A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Monday, February 27, 2006

Gooeys and Pasta and Beads... oh my?

It was a food and drink weekend.

Friday night, we met up with the boy's friends at Vegetarian Haven for a great dinner - spring rolls, pot stickers, and I had a spicy tempeh stew and a slice of carrot cake. Though I suspect the stew was exactly the same as the sweet and sour tempeh, but with some spice added to it. Then we went to C'est What? for a couple of drinks and after dinner snacks. Yes, I was still hungry. I blame it on pms. The boy had this awesome chocolate ale which we'll have to go back for one day...

Saturday night, the boy's sister and future brother-in-law finally made their long trek from Fergus to Toronto. The weather was getting crappy, which ruined our idea for going skating at the Harbourfront (about a 30-40 minute trip from our apartment.) So, his sister suggested "Let's stay here and get drunk." I liked that idea. Out came the rye, rum and wine. Also, out came the game my mother and sister bought me for my birthday: Talking Gooey Louie.



The point of the game is to pick the "gooeys" from "Louie's" nose until someone picks the one that is attached to a lever that ejects the brain. That person is the loser (actually, I think we all were...) Our new rules: the "loser" takes half a shot of a liqueur of their choice. Yes, half. This was only 3:00 in the afternoon, afterall.


By the end of the game, we were all losers and, inevitably, gooeys got placed into real noses.

I wish I had taken some photos of dinner:

- Spaghettini, a mix of whole wheat and regular
- Sauce of prepared tomato sauce, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, lots of garlic, peppers, spinach, tomato paste, mushrooms, basil
- Bruschetta
- Garlic Bread, sprinkled with nutritional yeast
- Tofu Chocolate Mousse topped with fresh raspberries
- Red wine

It was so good... very flavourful.

Sunday, I met up with Claire at Juice For Life for some spring rolls, paté with pesto and crackers and a Powerhouse Rice bowl, wich consists of brown rice, chickpeas, marinated grilled tofu, avocado, loads of nuts and seeds, with a tasty tahini sauce. It was so much food that we had to get take-away.

Afterwards, we vultured Lewiscraft for their going out of business sale... I picked up tonnes of cotton yarn - black, red and khaki green... my usuals. I'll be making a scarf for Claire, which I'll post the progress of.

Then, off to the bead sale. I was very, very good... had lots of control. I only bought a few earring hooks and a small string of copper beads. Claire treated herself to a "special bead."


And we went for some chai latte.

And I bought a beautiful dress for the boy's step-family's wedding this Friday, for which I have to make a necklace and a set of earrings...


Overall, a good weekend.


1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds very fun, Mishka. I love that picture of the green thing up the boy's nose. Sometimes trying to picture the food is even worse than seeing it -- it's really late and I get hungry whenever I read about good food!

11:52 PM, February 27, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home