A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Thursday, October 25, 2007

You say solder, I say solder.

Last night was my first of eight Beginner Jewellery Making classes at Nanopod. Our first project was working with copper. We drilled, we sawed and we soldered, and it was a lot of fun! My piece didn't turn out a well as I'd hoped, but I really enjoyed the process. So much that I'm thinking about all the tools I can buy to continue creating metal works of art at home!

My first attempt
my piece from last night that I cut out of a small piece of copper with a saw, filed, and soldered with my very own hands!

Random conversation about the class, had about a month and a half ago at my home, went something like this:

me (showing my cousins and the boy the nanopod website and the description of the class): I get to work with all these metals, and I get to solder!
cousin: it's "saw-der"
me: what? oh. I thought that "sole-dering" and "saw-dering" were two different things.

Sometimes, I'm really dumb.


In other news, look what I found at the cafe next door to the studio! Hell ya! Apparently they also sell a chili pepper one, but were sold out last night. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they have more next Wednesday night!

choco wheel

Labels: , ,


5 Comments:

Blogger softspoken said...

i'd think it was pronounced "sole-der" too. and i think the piece you made is pretty great! how big is it?

10:58 AM, October 25, 2007

 
Blogger jen said...

you are both wrong, it's pronounced "sah-der"!

pretty jewelery - what is it (brooch? pendent?)

and yum for chili chocolate.

2:15 PM, October 25, 2007

 
Blogger mishka said...

softspoken - thanks! The piece is about 2 inches long.

jen - is sah-der the north-eastern version? :) The piece was supposed to be a pendant, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I forgot to drill a hole for a jump ring! So, instead, I might used some copper wire and wrap the top a bit, creating a loop for a ribbon, and wear it as a necklace.

3:52 PM, October 25, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...it's been a l-o-ng time, eh?
I love your piece of jewellery...wow!!

I believe the word "solder" is pronounced "sauder" at least that is how I pronounce it :)

That choco puck looks decadent. I reminds me of some chocolate I sampled at an organic, fair-trade chocolate stand at the Brick Works organic farmer's market near the DVP...ever been?

Looking forward to seeing more of your jewellery work.

7:48 PM, October 25, 2007

 
Blogger krissy said...

wow, that's so great that you're taking that course! it sounds like fun. i've wanted to take something like that for awhile too. i can't wait to see more stuff you make! and if you decide to use those pieces you made last night, be sure to post the finished product!

1:39 PM, October 26, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home