A Toronto vegan blabs on about crafting, food, and her life in general.


Saturday, April 26, 2008

Movin' on out...

Across the creek

We have some big news.

In late September/early October of this year, the boy and I will be paring down our stuff, packing up the rest of it, and moving out west. To Vancouver.

This decision has been a couple of years in the making. Actually, the trip we took a year and a halfish ago was supposed to sell me on the idea. There are so many great things about Vancouver - environment-wise, climate-wise, culture-wise - but for me, this move is less about the destination and more about the move itself.

I love Toronto. I love all my friends in Toronto. My family is here. But I was reminded recently about why I studied German, of all things, in high school. It wasn't because I planned to specifically live in Germany, but it was definitely because I had never planned to live my life in one place. After my sister was born - just before I started college - I'd put those thoughts aside because I did not want to leave her. She is now 16, soon going to be starting college or university herself, and I finally feel ready to stretch my wings.

There is so much scariness that comes along with making this type of move in your mid-30s. Thankfully, we are not in a position to have to sell a house (we rent) or to uproot a child (we're DINKs!), and we look forward to changing things up in our careers. I plan to look for a designer position with a company that aligns with my own ethical views (they are out there!) and the boy plans to do freelance web development. We also plan to take in a lot of nature in the way of hiking, camping and biking. And Seattle is only a couple of hours away!

It is with much sadness that I leave all my loved ones - but what better time is there in our history to make this sort of jump? With the online presence of blogs, flickr, Facebook, we'll be able to stay in frequent contact with everyone "back home".

Labels:


6 Comments:

Blogger krissy said...

wow, what a shocker! i had no idea. i'm sad we'll be losing you to vancouver but i guess our loss is vancouver's gain! i'm sure you'll be happy there. and you'll be just in time for the 2010 olympics!

9:38 PM, April 26, 2008

 
Blogger vania said...

Wow, this is some news for sure! Close friends of mine also recently moved there from here, and are loving it. I love that you are taking this chance, and believe you will love Vancouver. I hope we can all hang up again before you go!

9:48 AM, April 27, 2008

 
Blogger B said...

Oooh... SEA/Vancouver... we'll practically be neighbors! :D

11:15 PM, April 27, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi - I came out of lurking and wanted to share some thoughts with you about Vancouver.

Vancouver is a great city. It has all the great qualities you mentioned in your post, i.e. better climate, physically fit people, environmentally conscious citizens, easy accessibility to nature (20 minutes out of the city and you are practically in the midst of wildlife) and of course, the fantastic scenery, there is something to be said about living near the ocean too.

My husband loves Vancouver as he used to live there many years ago and I often ask him if he would ever want to go back and live there and he says "yes" BUT only if I could own a house I would. Apparently, the real estate market in Vancouver is untouchable. Most 30-somethings cannot afford the outrageous house prices. Of course, there are plenty of affordable co-op apartments and housing there. Also, the job market in Vancouver is not as plentiful as it is in Toronto. Of course, there are many jobs there related to non-for-profit and grassroots organizations but I don't know how well they pay in comparison to a similar type job in Toronto.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on like that. I'm sure you have done your own research and obviously you have made up your mind so you don't need some unknown person (me!) giving you the pros and cons about life in Vancouver. Good luck to you!

I look forward to reading about your adventures there.

Sara

11:27 AM, April 28, 2008

 
Blogger mishka said...

Krissy and Vania - I would love to for us to get together before I move. We can make paper cut outs of Michelle and Aaron and have a re-enactment of our get together a couple of years ago! Maybe we could have a craft day... :)

Brittney - seriously! And, look out, because I am coming to visit Seattle.

Sara - thanks for delurking! And thank you for your input. It's funny, because I get all kinds of info from all kinds of people about the job market. I'm a graphic designer and I've been told there are plenty of design jobs in Vancouver. I'm hoping that's true! As for the housing market, everyone is on the same page - it's crap. Too expensive. We are not looking to buy a home anytime soon, so the ridiculous real estate prices aren't going to scare us away. We have a friend who owns a condo, and it's looking pretty likely that we'll be able to rent from him, at least for a little while - which is awesome for so many reasons, one of which is the condo's proximity to Granville Island!

Thanks for all the positive comments, guys. I look forward to posting more about our adventures!

3:39 PM, April 28, 2008

 
Blogger Lisa PN said...

What exciting news!
I, unlike most people really love to move, and if i could do it every few years, i would, but i can't!

anyhow, i look forward to fun stories from Vancouver!

best,
lisa

11:37 AM, May 12, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home